Mojang, please be strong and firm with your upcoming EULA clarification. (self.Minecraft)

Minecraft

129 ups - 58 downs = 71 votes

I beg of you. Minecraft servers have become nothing more than money machines and it's ridiculous. I love original servers that try to go for something unusual, but they are always outdone by the generic servers that offer donation perks where you literally pay to win, and this is largely done through offering fully enchanted gear through means of a kit.

You need to be strong with this one. Don't talk about it then not do it. Once you get this EULA thing going, be serious about it. This game, in terms of multiplayer, has mostly gone to shit because of everyone making servers with the sole purpose of making a quick buck. Minecraft servers have become a business and it's disgusting.

Don't get me wrong, I recognize that some servers are popular for a good reason and that, indeed, some people actually want and desire the same ol' same ol', but these donation-centric servers have got to go. Servers NEED donations to run, yes I get this! Running a server can be VERY time-consuming AND expensive if it gets big! Yep, I understand completely, but Minecraft is such a game where you can come up with a thousand and one different ways to compensate the players. You can make your own plugins and offer custom, original features, for instance. This shit of "donate $100 and get /kit pvp4 which contains prot4 gear and sharpness 5 swords on a 24 hour cooldown" is fucking retarded. It's nothing more than money-grubbing. I've seen servers offer perks in excess of $300 and some people have bought them. By all means, use your money any way you like, but nothing justifies that price tag. It's just greed, cut and dry.

If Mojang is strong and firm with this EULA clarification, it can breathe new life back into Minecraft multiplayer.

Bold statement, right? Hear me out on this one. There's currently so many servers that are made with the absolute intent of making money that the "market" (lack of better words, here, excuse me on that) is over-flooded. You have thousands upon thousands of trash servers that only want you to donate $200 and fuck off. If the EULA clarification is a serious gig from Mojang, then we will see these servers drop off the map, and you'll be left with the servers that're ran for the love of the game, and not the love of the money.

I've seen server owners make over $70,000/yr off of donations because they run servers where donating eventually becomes a necessity, and all these kids do it eventually.

We need this.

Mojang, please be as serious as a heart attack with this. You've made a good decision, now see it through.

EDIT:

Okay, this is getting a lot more attention a lot more quickly than I originally anticipated, and some of the comments I'm seeing are concerning.

I want Mojang to not just talk the talk, but walk the walk. Yes. That's the whole point of this post. However, if Mojang includes custom plugins in this EULA, custom plugins that add in fairly unique features and not just some bullshit workaround where through a custom plugin you type in a custom command to get fully enchanted gear and god apples, then servers are going to be outright fucked.

They will be skating on thin ice with this decision, and I support the concept of removing built-in features from being donation perks, however this should not include custom plugins. I can think of, for example, mini-game mods. These mods change the way the game behaves, so they should be able to donate to them for mod-specific perks.

If Mojang says "no" to absolutely everything even remotely pertaining the game, then servers are done. One by one, you're going to be seeing them shut down. This, I guarantee.

So no, I don't support Mojang adding in plugins to the list, but I do support them saying "Hey, diamond gear is our property, you can't sell that shit". I recognize anything in the game is their property, but they need to be lax in certain areas to allow for server growth and prosperity.

Very few people will run a server, considering how stressful and time-consuming they can be, AND foot the bill which can sometimes be in excess of $400/mo with everything (for the bigger servers).

I think we can all agree that Mojang needs to focus on the servers that're specifically offering in-game items directly through perks at outrageous prices, and not any and all servers trying to make enough money to run things through any means.

People won't donate just for the love of the server. I mean, they will, but not enough will consistently do it to keep a server up for good. There needs to be peace of mind, and you simply do not get that from a "donate to help keep the server going" button.

87 comments submitted at 14:08:28 on Jun 6, 2014 by Narrowminded

  • [-]
  • seanbeag
  • 1 Points
  • 16:39:24, 6 June

> pay to win

I don't understand this. Win what? Minecraft is a sandbox game.

  • [-]
  • nikipinz
  • 1 Points
  • 16:42:35, 6 June

Likely referring to PvP servers, where if you pay to get a diamond kit, you can easily beat the crap out of anyone who hasn't, thus making it impossible to win anything without paying on that server.

  • [-]
  • matejdro
  • 12 Points
  • 14:52:27, 6 June

> You can make your own plugins and offer custom, original features, for instance.

This is most problematic part. Who decides what can be sold and what not? All custom features are built on top of minecraft, so you will always be "selling" part of the game.

  • [-]
  • Demokade
  • 9 Points
  • 15:55:31, 6 June

The EULA already covers this. It isn't problematic at all.

You cannot sell anything that Mojang considers a mod or plugin.

  • [-]
  • Hidden_Tech
  • 1 Points
  • 16:10:29, 6 June

Yup. What might be interesting, however, is creating an interface for your own "mod" that interacts with Minecraft. The interface would be free to use (as it's a minecraft mod), but the actual mod can still be sold(?). I'm not saying this is a feasible solution (I'd imagine it being rather difficult to program, for one, let alone any potential legal issues this might create), but I'm sure there's some creative solution that allows people to still earn money.

Having said that, though, I really don't mind what they're doing here. It's their game, and the users of minecraft did agree to the rules (whether or not they read them is another problem altogether).

  • [-]
  • ExcuseMyOpinions
  • 1 Points
  • 15:32:02, 6 June

I think grum_ commented that plugin features are off limits to sell as well. It's to bad because the server I frequent sells small custom-plugin features that don't affect gameplay to support the server.

I feel a strong sense of dislike for the mass amount servers that sell items or features that give you an advantage over others. Especially when these are items found in the vanilla game. I wish people would simply stop paying for those so they would go away.

As OP said, I hope that mojang will be strong and firm but I would hate to see good servers shut down out of this so I hope they find a good place to draw the line in the EULA so that it discriminates almost only against these harmful pay 2 win servers.

  • [-]
  • Garlien
  • 1 Points
  • 16:56:55, 6 June

You know, you don't have to sell anything. You can just get donations. That's what the more "legitimate" survival servers do.

  • [-]
  • matejdro
  • 1 Points
  • 17:32:44, 6 June

Well donations are often not enough. Not many people will pay something for nothing.

  • [-]
  • Cthalpa
  • 7 Points
  • 14:57:09, 6 June

I agree. It's ridiculous how pay to win Minecraft multiplayer has become lately and has put me off playing on public servers completely. The Sir Humphreys of the Minecraft community are being more ridiculous than /r/TF2 was when Valve crippled MOTD adverts which were considerably less invasive than the kind of things that some Minecraft servers do.

At the end of the day people should STFU until Mojang come out with their new EULA which will clarify everything.

  • [-]
  • nerfornothing1138
  • 12 Points
  • 15:05:40, 6 June

Bro, I've been running a survival Minecraft server since alpha. We don't do any bullshit. The only thing donators get is access to change their name colour, which is some Bukkit plugin called ColorMe. I think in the whole time we've been accepting donations we've had 10 people donate totally. It's not the focus of the server and truly is a "hey if you like it, buy me a beer" type of thing.

I'd love to invite all of you guys that would like to come and play on a good server but I don't want to break the spam rules. I guess what I'm saying is that there are still some good servers out there that are not pay-to-win. It's a few bad apples ruining it for everyone.

  • [-]
  • Booyeahgames
  • 1 Points
  • 17:07:53, 6 June

Yeah. And I don't even think they're ruling out for pay servers. Just that you can't offer things for money to split up the player base on your server.

It could lead to some very nicely run subscription based servers, where there's no donations at all. You just can only play if you pay a fee. And then smaller servers run on donations just for the sake of donating rather than p2w will also get more attention.

Honestly, if the people running pay to win servers are unhappy, or the players who want to pay to win are unhappy, I couldn't care less.

  • [-]
  • Cthalpa
  • 2 Points
  • 15:20:09, 6 June

It is highly likely that Mojang don't care about donator benefits on servers like yours which just give coloured text. All of the current "information" is based on sound bites from non-lawyer Mojang employees which have been taken completely out of context. They have stated that the new EULA will clarify everything so wait until that comes out before complaining.

  • [-]
  • nerfornothing1138
  • 5 Points
  • 15:24:03, 6 June

Oh, I'm not complaining at all. In fact, I'm highly tempted to just give everyone the coloured names just to show how little I care about the issue. I'm totally fine with the moves Mojang is making.

  • [-]
  • greensploge1
  • 1 Points
  • 17:07:28, 6 June

I think that servers cost a lot running a 40,000 player server(mineplex) having to hire builders, paying custom developers, paying server artist, paying website host/CSS builder, and having maintenance sessions that can only be 15 minutes or players freak out.

  • [-]
  • Tehgriefa
  • 2 Points
  • 15:52:43, 6 June

It's the age old quandary of punishing everyone for what a few people have done. Yes, there have been players who run their servers with a very uninspired attitude and who force people to pay 20$ to simply be able to build. There have also been servers who are able to create an awesome community with hundreds of players that is sustained by donations. Now granted I'm sure there have been occasions where people have payed a lot of money only to see the server go down in short order due to admin boredom or technical difficulties. If Mojang is specifically targeting that, then I have more sympathy for the move. However there is no reason to not allow Modders to sell their mods, that part needs to go.

  • [-]
  • MmmVomit
  • 1 Points
  • 17:19:15, 6 June

> It's the age old quandary of punishing everyone for what a few people have done.

Punishing everyone? I own a server and no one is punishing me, because I'm not breaking the terms of the EULA.

  • [-]
  • Owlby
  • 1 Points
  • 16:08:26, 6 June

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't donating to servers considered a donation (hence the word)? Rewarding users with ingame perks that otherwise are unachievable because of server setup (such as creative mode). It's not really a purchase, it seems, because any amount can be donated. The money goes to server upkeep and hosting, and any other costs like having a forum. I might be wrong but it's just something to note...

  • [-]
  • MmmVomit
  • 1 Points
  • 17:20:37, 6 June

> It's not really a purchase, it seems, because any amount can be donated.

If you haggle over the price of an apple, does that make it a donation instead of a purchase? Making the price variable does not change the nature of a purchase versus a donation.

  • [-]
  • BebopVox
  • 1 Points
  • 16:44:34, 6 June

Always gotta have a handful of bad chickens to make everyone else look bad. That's all this is, and it's what triggered the knee jerk response. When Mojang came across the Reddit posting of OUTRAGEOUS server price kits.

  • [-]
  • CuganCraft
  • 1 Points
  • 14:38:32, 6 June

How do you suggest huge servers like hypixel or playmindcrack run their servers without buying patron spots?

  • [-]
  • thedarkjedi
  • 7 Points
  • 15:18:23, 6 June

here is the thing playmindcrack doesnt give the pay to win option this is the extra you get if you become a patron

PlayMindcrack.com is supported by the fans like yourself. We want to build a server that we would be proud to play on, which is why we do not offer any pay-to-win in any of our game modes. You can't buy Super Health Potions, God Mode, or OP. Anything you can can acquire in-game can be earned without every having to spend a dime in a reasonable amount of time. If you are interested in supporting the server and becoming a Patron you should do so not because you feel you have too, but because you only want to show your support for us and see more awesome gamemodes from us in the future! Becoming a Patron unlocks:

The ability to join games that are full. Colored username in the lobby for your player name and chat name! Access to the Patron Chest once a day which grants you gold to buy silly items to use in the lobby! Double loot bags! When playing mini games, you will earn a second loot bag everytime! Loot bag contain pennies, gold, and other fun items to play with in the lobby! 50% bonus gold and experience!

that is one thing guude and rob both said from day one they will never become a pay to win server they both hate them

  • [-]
  • Devam13
  • 3 Points
  • 16:01:48, 6 June

I think you should edit out the site name because otherwise the mods will remove your comment.

It's against the rules of this sub. Although I think this is classified as an exception..

  • [-]
  • jacob_ninja_potato3
  • 3 Points
  • 16:13:51, 6 June

but playmindcrack still falls under this

  • [-]
  • Cthalpa
  • -4 Points
  • 14:51:51, 6 June

If you can't afford to run your server based on real donations (i.e. nothing in return) or out of your pocket then you probably shouldn't be running a server.

  • [-]
  • SassyShorts
  • 11 Points
  • 15:03:38, 6 June

You've clearly never run a server before. The average age of a minecraft player is probably around 15 years old and has absolutely no motivation to donate to a server for nothing in return.

  • [-]
  • Cthalpa
  • 7 Points
  • 15:07:04, 6 June

> You've clearly never run a server before.

I've been running gaming communities for a decade.

>The average age of a minecraft player is probably around 15 years old and has absolutely no motivation to donate to a server for nothing in return.

If you run a decent server with a good community then quite a few people will donate to keep it alive. If that isn't enough then run it out of your pocket or shut down. It's not like a dedicated server is that expensive.

  • [-]
  • SassyShorts
  • 1 Points
  • 15:33:51, 6 June

I was referring more to minecraft than any other game. The average age of minecraft is much lower than any other game and is therefore much more difficult to get donations.

Honestly I feel like this is a moot point. Regardless of how easy or hard it is to get donations Mojang should not be meddling with servers, they should focus on making a game.

  • [-]
  • Cthalpa
  • 3 Points
  • 15:39:15, 6 June

> Regardless of how easy or hard it is to get donations Mojang should not be meddling with servers, they should focus on making a game.

I really don't think that Mojang's lawyers are the people writing their games.

  • [-]
  • Maklin
  • -3 Points
  • 16:13:36, 6 June

No but they are the vampires sucking the life out of it...with the blessing of the company. EULA enforcement? Go Microsoft, er Mojang.

  • [-]
  • Alarchy
  • -1 Points
  • 15:30:25, 6 June

> It's not like a dedicated server is that expensive

Boy, I wish I was rich enough to pay ~$50/mo out-of-pocket and consider that inexpensive.

Or do you mean "dedicated server" as in "my spare PC I run out of my house with a DSL connection?"

  • [-]
  • Cthalpa
  • 3 Points
  • 15:35:00, 6 June

>Boy, I wish I was rich enough to pay ~$50/mo out-of-pocket and consider that inexpensive.

I repeat what I said earlier. If you are so poor that you can't afford it then you probably shouldn't be running it.

  • [-]
  • Alarchy
  • 0 Points
  • 16:32:16, 6 June

>If you are so poor that you can't afford it then you probably shouldn't be running it.

True, but there are a lot of people that can afford it, that also can't justify running a server as a charity. There are plenty of good, small server communities out there that, through no fault of their own, can't get people to pay for "nothing." Heck, even Wikipedia, used by millions every day, has to beg for donations.

It's also not like other places don't offer incentives for "donations." T-shirts, stickers, etc. Colored nameplates and /hat commands, I feel, are in that same realm. And if those incentivized donations help keep a server on quality hardware, with good administrative practices (backups, moderation, etc.) - where is the harm in that?

Sure, "donating" to buy back parts of the game (or get gear) is crappy. Ban that. But sometimes, even with the most generous communities, you have to give some little incentive to get people to contribute.

  • [-]
  • Cthalpa
  • 1 Points
  • 16:37:10, 6 June

> True, but there are a lot of people that can afford it, that also can't justify running a server as a charity.

Mojang have not banned people from donating to servers. You mentioned Wikipedia which is actually a perfect example of what Mojang say is acceptable as if you donate to Wikipedia you get nothing in return other than a warm feeling. IANAL but I believe that in some jurisdictions the term "donation" has a very strict meaning and if you are getting something in exchange then it is not a donation and is illegal to refer to it as such.

>It's also not like other places don't offer incentives for "donations."

Those places don't offer incentives which are based on infringing other peoples copyright.

  • [-]
  • Alarchy
  • 1 Points
  • 16:56:40, 6 June

Right, and Wikipedia is a perfect example on how stingy people can be. Even with 500 million unique visitors a month, they can barely scrape up a bit over a million donators. That's a 0.2% donation rate, for one of the most heavily used websites on the planet. That's 0.04 people of a 20 person server.

As far as the semantics behind "donations," and "contributions," and "premium features" goes - it's not at all illegal to offer non-monetary incentives for donations. In the US, there are even federally supported incentives for donations (tax breaks).

>Those places don't offer incentives which are based on infringing other peoples copyright.

That's what we'll have to wait for Mojang to clarify. Is it infringing to write a custom plugin (with zero Minecraft code) that colors nicknames, then use a command to apply it after a donation is received? Is it infringing to sell a server control panel, with 0 code from Mojang, that has "Minecraft" in the name? As of now, the EULA can be interpreted to mean all of that is against the terms of service (which does not necessarily mean copyright infringement).

  • [-]
  • Maklin
  • -3 Points
  • 16:16:36, 6 June

After all, everything fun is for the rich, right?

> I've been running gaming communities for a decade.

With the attitude you've shown here towards others, your communities must be as toxic as they come. And by the way, the other poster said you've never run a server before...a community is NOT a server.

  • [-]
  • Cthalpa
  • 4 Points
  • 16:18:47, 6 June

> With the attitude you've shown here towards others, your communities must be as toxic as they come.

I pay for everything out of my own pocket but still get people asking repeatedly if they can donate. I guess my community must be really toxic if that's happening. /s

Also, you should probably brush up on your debating skills. Ad hominems are usually considered bad practise.

  • [-]
  • cecil-explodes
  • 3 Points
  • 15:30:54, 6 June

what he is saying as a tenant of being an adult. people who run big servers who say they need to be able to sell donations to continue are business people, not players, and what they are doing is illegal.

you don't HAVE to own a server to enjoy minecraft.

  • [-]
  • SassyShorts
  • 1 Points
  • 15:56:27, 6 June

Selling donations and rewarding donations are different, but not by much. Where Mojang decides to draw the line is what I'm worried about.

  • [-]
  • cecil-explodes
  • 1 Points
  • 16:02:14, 6 June

it looks like the line is going to be pretty thick and solid. it seems as if mojang will allow some kind if subscription or even one time payment for whitelisting but rewarding a player with prizes derived from assets created by Mojang has technically been illegal forever and will now be enforced.

  • [-]
  • CuganCraft
  • 1 Points
  • 15:06:31, 6 June

But then there would be no incentive to run servers anymore. It would actually be a major deficit to run servers. All of the huge servers would be gone. No more survival games.

  • [-]
  • Cthalpa
  • 2 Points
  • 15:11:06, 6 June

> But then there would be no incentive to run servers anymore.

The enjoyment of playing with friends isn't an incentive?

>It would actually be a major deficit to run servers.

How very tragic. Would you like a tiny violin to go with that?

>All of the huge servers would be gone. No more survival games.

I refer to my previous comment about not running a server if you cant afford it.

  • [-]
  • CuganCraft
  • 1 Points
  • 15:20:05, 6 June

I meant huge multiplayer servers. If those are gone, minecraft will lose a lot of players. A large amount of players just hop on hypixel or whatever to play survival games. It's instant gratification. All the servers that would be left are small servers with friends.

  • [-]
  • Cthalpa
  • 3 Points
  • 15:26:27, 6 June

>I meant huge multiplayer servers. If those are gone, minecraft will lose a lot of players.

Who says they will be? I would be willing to bet that the "donations" to such servers is considerably higher than what they actually need to fund the servers.

The Minecraft server doesn't take up as much resources as people seem to think. In my experience a normal server is mostly disk I/O bound (solvable with hybrid or solid state drives) and a minigame server like Hypixel is (probably) network I/O bound. Neither of these these are particularly expensive from a decent server host.

  • [-]
  • Wuvluv
  • 1 Points
  • 15:31:49, 6 June

Oh for gods sakes man. Really?

  • [-]
  • Fellowship_9
  • -1 Points
  • 14:53:39, 6 June

They won't. It's the same as any other business, if you like them, then support them. And if they can't support themselves in a fair way, then do they really deserve to stay up?

  • [-]
  • SassyShorts
  • 2 Points
  • 15:05:33, 6 June

How is offering benefits for donations unfair? Sure some of these servers take it too far but running a server is not cheap and players often need a reason to even consider donating.

  • [-]
  • Fellowship_9
  • 3 Points
  • 15:12:03, 6 June

I'll admit that might not have been the best phrasing there. But the point stands: Mojang choose what rules they enforce, not us. And if the only way a server can stay up involves breaking those rules, then bye bye.

Think of it like this: imagine a restaurant has been really successful for years, because they're selling drugs. Now the police knew about this but didn't bother doing anything until recently, so they gave the owners a choice: stop selling drugs or shut down. The owners could say 'But selling drugs is the only way we can make enough money to stay open'. Tough luck. Regardless of whether you believe personally that their actions were moral or not, they were breaking the law, so the law has every right to shut them down.

  • [-]
  • SassyShorts
  • -1 Points
  • 15:27:43, 6 June

I'm not sure I quite agree with your metaphor. Regardless I don't think mojang should interfere with servers. Their job is to make a game, not police it. If they want full control of all servers they should host all servers themselves and stop releasing server hosting software, simple as that.

  • [-]
  • Fellowship_9
  • 3 Points
  • 15:34:04, 6 June

But wouldn't you say that if Mojang know hat some server owners are taking advantage of kids, then they should stop them?

But honestly I think people are overreacting about all of this. Most likely Mojang will crack down on one of two of the really scummy servers to make an example and leave it at that. They aren't going to bother Playmindcrack, hypixel, shotbow etc. unless they really start going too far, which isn't very likely.

Mojang have always been a company that cares a lot about the community and they wouldn't do anyhing to hurt that trust.

  • [-]
  • Maklin
  • 1 Points
  • 16:10:18, 6 June

> But wouldn't you say that if Mojang know hat some server owners are taking advantage of kids, then they should stop them?

No, they are a business, not ethical and morality police. The server owners (while possibly unethical) are doing nothing criminal. No one makes some brainless dink hand over their hard earned for fantasy items. Notch & Co. should stay the hell out of the user/admin relationship.

> Mojang have always been a company that cares a lot about the community and they wouldn't do anyhing to hurt that trust.

That's bullshit. Other than when Notch threw his famous tantrum about Microsoft, its been about the money, they just have GOOD Public Relations and miles of (unwarranted) slack users cut 'indie' companies. This crackdown has NOTHING to do with helping people or the EULA...it is amazing how well it timed out to the release of Minecraft Realms. The way I see it, its a win-win for Mojang...ban the server item sales and make all the little 'I hate p2w' whining busybodies happy AND maybe when the servers fail drive a bit of business from players that no longer have a server to play on over to Realms. Players lose, but Mojang 'cares a lot about the community' so its good, right? (sarcasm)

Modded / fun servers and no cash for Mojang...or...bland cookie-cutter 'Realms' and cash for Notch? Call out the lawers and the bland!

Personally, I'd love to see a mass insurrection against the EULA, as in server admins just ignore it. They can't sue everyone and (in some countries at all). Wonder how much they'd have to spend to get their way and how big a tantrum the Mojang leaders would have? Be glorious to watch Notch & Co. take a hit where it hurts, the wallet!

  • [-]
  • SassyShorts
  • 0 Points
  • 15:54:46, 6 June

It is not their job to protect their customers, that is the job of the customer/guardian. No parent should give their child access to a credit card nor should they pay for something as ridiculous as $300 minecraft packages.

I obviously do not like that servers take advantage of kids, but it is not Mojangs job to try to fix it. I truly hope that if they enforce this rule they do it very selectively, but I hardly think that will be the case.

  • [-]
  • Murreey
  • 1 Points
  • 15:43:31, 6 June

> It's the same as any other business, if you like them, then support them.

Hahaha what??

"Hmm, I really like Coca Cola. Hey Coke, thanks for all the free drinks you've provided over the years, here's $10 to show my appreciation!"

I guess Coke doesn't deserve to be a business if it can't make it's money back on donations alone!

  • [-]
  • Jargo
  • 1 Points
  • 16:44:46, 6 June

But Coca Cola owns the coke, server owners own nothing besides the server and the bandwidth.

It's more akin to your local NPR affiliate. They can't charge you to listen to NPR programming, but boy they sure do appreciate it when you donate to them. Sure they have gifts, but these gifts were given to them for their express use as gifts to donators.

  • [-]
  • Fellowship_9
  • 1 Points
  • 15:49:26, 6 June

Ok, it's not a perfect analogy. But you can't complain about a something shutting down if you haven't supported it.

  • [-]
  • Koala_eiO
  • 0 Points
  • 15:54:25, 6 June

An "unlimited slots" server is worth 10€/month.

  • [-]
  • narrowtux
  • 1 Points
  • 16:18:51, 6 June

Yeah but as soon as you get about 20-50 players online on this "unlimited" slots server, you get lags and server crashes. Minecraft servers are using a lot of resources.

  • [-]
  • dizigma_
  • 1 Points
  • 16:00:42, 6 June

These servers are not being run through a hosting provider, they are being run on there own dedicated servers which are much, much more expensive.

  • [-]
  • Nicko247
  • 1 Points
  • 16:19:21, 6 June

Actually it would make it much cheaper to be fair.

  • [-]
  • dizigma_
  • 1 Points
  • 16:26:22, 6 June

Yes, minecraft hosting companies do overcharge but i've never seen one that can handle 1000+ players online across multiple bungeecoord servers.

  • [-]
  • olzx
  • 1 Points
  • 14:19:21, 6 June

What is EULA?

  • [-]
  • Aidoboy
  • 7 Points
  • 14:29:08, 6 June

End User License Agreement

You should have read it when you bought Minecraft, but few actually do.

  • [-]
  • Narrowminded
  • 4 Points
  • 14:30:39, 6 June

I'm not gonna bullshit. I didn't read it either. Most people encounter so many ToS agreements and EULA documents that they just skim through them because it ends up being too time consuming to read them. Yes, that's a petty excuse, but it's largely true.

If Mojang enforces their EULA properly, then we should start seeing nothing but good things come out of it.

  • [-]
  • Aidoboy
  • 5 Points
  • 14:57:58, 6 June

I was so excited getting Minecraft in late Alpha I actually read it :).

  • [-]
  • spookyhappyfun
  • 2 Points
  • 16:31:17, 6 June

Me too. I was also a bit dubious because I'd never bought anything that was in an Alpha state before (or even heard of buying anything like that), so I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be ripped off in some way.

It's worked out.

  • [-]
  • Aidoboy
  • 1 Points
  • 17:10:05, 6 June

I got to play it at a friend's house first. Convinced my parents to let me buy it because it would be more expensive in beta.

  • [-]
  • Nathan2055
  • 1 Points
  • 15:17:12, 6 June

I read it only to figure out what level of modding is legal.

  • [-]
  • thebluecrab
  • 2 Points
  • 15:24:29, 6 June

I generally skim those things to find any funny things the bored writers inserted

  • [-]
  • Que_Jera_Jera
  • 1 Points
  • 16:12:08, 6 June

I didn't read it either, but I also only play vanilla Minecraft. However, if I were planning to start a "donation"-centric server, you can bet if go over that thing with a fine tooth comb.

  • [-]
  • Kwyver
  • 0 Points
  • 15:05:52, 6 June

Yes, donate only because you want the experience on the server to continue not because it improves your gameplay.

  • [-]
  • Murreey
  • 4 Points
  • 15:41:18, 6 June

People who think they will get donators without perks are delusional.

The donations you'll receive out of the kindness of players hearts won't even make a dent in server admin costs.

  • [-]
  • SassyShorts
  • -4 Points
  • 15:13:09, 6 June

I completely disagree. Mojang should not interfere with multiplayer servers in any way. Nobody is forced to play on any of these servers nor are they forced to pay for these outlandish packages, many servers offer basic benefits in as a reward for donations and rely on those donations to stay afloat.

Where does Mojang intend to draw the line when it comes to paying for features and how are they going to enforce these rules?

Feel free to disagree with me but I just don't see how these restrictions will improve multiplayer in any way.

  • [-]
  • jfb1337
  • 3 Points
  • 15:50:05, 6 June

By any chance do you own a profiting server?

Any way, most of the people that pay for the server are kids who don't understand that they can just play on a different server if the one they are on is pressuring them for donations.

  • [-]
  • SassyShorts
  • 1 Points
  • 16:04:16, 6 June

I owned a server briefly, maybe for around a year? It was $30 a month to host the server and I offered basic perks (bucket use, chat colors, magic carpet) in exchange for $5 a month in donations. I think I upgraded the server at one point because I had enough in donation money to alleviate some lag. So no.. It was not profitable.

I would most likely have not been able to get ANY donations had I not offered these basic perks, however Mojang could consider my actions "selling features" and shut me down.

Lastly, if parents are allowing their kids to spend money on these perks than they should be held responsible. Not the server owners, and certainly not Mojang.

  • [-]
  • longcatlover
  • 4 Points
  • 15:40:36, 6 June

NOTE: I'm not picking a fight with you, I'm just trying to clarify.

When you purchased Minecraft, there was a EULA that you agreed to. In this EULA, it stated that you are not allowed to sell any part of this game.

If a server admin decides to sell, let's say, a diamond sword for real-life money, that is technically selling part of Minecraft.

I do think that paying for kits and such is a pretty cool idea, but Mojang clearly stated that this is a direct violation of the EULA, and that by agreeing to it and selling part of the game anyway, you are committing a crime.

Mojang seems to be taking this pretty seriously, and I'm afraid that there's nothing the community can do but just accept it. We agreed to the EULA, and that's that.

  • [-]
  • SassyShorts
  • 3 Points
  • 15:48:49, 6 June

Of course theres nothing we can do about it but that doesn't mean Mojang can't rewrite their EULA or simply choose to ignore it. This seems to be a recent effort on their part and I think they should re-evaluate their EULA before they take steps to actively enforce it.

  • [-]
  • skeddles
  • 1 Points
  • 15:34:58, 6 June

Just don't play on pay to win servers, problem solved.

  • [-]
  • Koala_eiO
  • 2 Points
  • 15:52:42, 6 June

Agreed. With this EULA reinforcement, hopefully we'll see crappy servers end and high quality server remain because they are donators (without kits in return)

  • [-]
  • skeddles
  • 0 Points
  • 15:57:00, 6 June

If I want to go online and pay money to get certain things in a minecraft server, why shouldn't I be able to?

  • [-]
  • Koala_eiO
  • 4 Points
  • 16:01:23, 6 June

> ust don't play on pay to win servers, problem solved.

> If I want to go online and pay money

Contradiction here. I don't quite understand what is your point of view.

  • [-]
  • skeddles
  • 1 Points
  • 17:04:27, 6 June

I don't have want to do it, but that doesn't mean I want to stop other people from doing it.

  • [-]
  • TampaPowers
  • 0 Points
  • 16:18:50, 6 June

You are addressing the bad apples and generalize the whole server community as such.

  • [-]
  • masterm
  • -1 Points
  • 16:03:35, 6 June

If players didn't like p2w servers they wouldn't exist

  • [-]
  • NotAReddit
  • 5 Points
  • 16:12:14, 6 June

If Minecraft was a community of adults, it wouldn't be much of an issue.

  • [-]
  • P1_Press_Start
  • 1 Points
  • 16:42:08, 6 June

This hits the nail on the head. People forget most of Minecraft's community is kids. These pay2win servers thrive on kids. Hell I have seen many screenshots of chatlogs of an admin telling kids to steal from their parents so they can donate. In a perfect world these servers would have died out, but unfortunately the kids who play on the servers keep them afloat.

  • [-]
  • MCSmelter
  • -4 Points
  • 15:08:31, 6 June

You are so Narrowminded... (+support :D)