Former Inmates of reddit - how are rapists/pedophiles REALLY treated once in prison (self.AskReddit)

{AskReddit}

1725 ups - 490 downs = 1235 votes

You always hear that most are brutally bullied/beat in prison. Wondering if some of it is exaggerated, or under stated. Also how do other inmates feel about rapists and pedophiles regardless of action being taken or not. (Possibly NSFW) [SERIOUS!]

1136 comments submitted at 19:39:42 on Dec 4, 2013 by bluesboarder

  • [-]
  • mainlysane
  • 1466 Points
  • 20:05:22, 4 December

Usually they are segregated into their own special housing units. More often than not they are left alone. Most of the moderately intelligent ones will never tell anyone why they are really in prison in the first place. They lie and say they robbed someone or something.

When I first went to prison at 19 my cell mate told me he was in for Breaking & Entering. While he was out of the cell on a call-out someone dropped off some paperwork under the door for him. I looked at it only to make sure it wasn't for me and I saw his charge listed clearly on the paperwork as "Sexual Assault in the 1st Degree". Intrigued, I read a little more and it seemed he was actually in prison for sodomizing his little brother.

I let it be known, and he was eventually beaten fairly severely in the shower. I am still conflicted about it. He probably deserved it, but I hate the fact that I was the cause of it.

  • [-]
  • bluesboarder
  • 219 Points
  • 20:10:21, 4 December

This is super interesting, Super morally conflicting too.

So you said some will lie about why they are in there, and others will be placed special housing. Is there like a criteria for who gets placed where? (severity of crime, ect?) or is it up to the inmate to request?

  • [-]
  • mainlysane
  • 187 Points
  • 20:27:35, 4 December

I'm sure every state/prison has their own policies and procedures and I can only speak about prisons I was at in Michigan and Missouri.

In Michigan, if you are a high profile sex offender (meaning your face was plastered all over the television and in the news) you end up placed in Administrative Segregation for the duration of your incarceration. Low-level sex offenders (think 20 year-olds who got busted for having consensual sex with their 15 year old girlfriends) were generally just placed in general population. Most of them were left alone because inmates tend to be pretty private. It's hard to be gregarious and sharing in a community like that.

Missouri was different altogether. They had special housing units specifically for sex offenders and you had no choice about ending up there. Whether you were raping little kids or just pissed off your barely under-aged girlfriends parents and they pressed charges, you all got housed together. It seemed pretty unfair to me, but I supposed it was better for the prison from a public-relations perspective. Prisons hate when stories run about a relatively minor sex offender (again, think younger guy with under-aged girlfriend) who gets beaten or murdered just because he had a "sex offender" label attached to him.

I did hear a few second and third hand stories about low-level sex offenders who would beat the crap out of the really creepy ones from time to time, but that may have just been bullshit and made up gossip.

Also, to address your question, some inmates can and do request administrative segregation. Not only because of their crime but to get away from gambling debts, gang activity, inmate sexual predators, or because they snitched the wrong person out to try and garner favor form the administration.

Sometimes the prison administration just makes that call on their own. I was in the same prison in Michigan at the same time as Jack Kevorkian. It was the only prison in the state with a hospital on premise and he was having health complications and also was on a hunger strike. I never even saw the guy. He was on a 24 hour lock-down and I'm pretty sure he didn't have anything to say about it. So, I guess, to summarize, it can be both.

  • [-]
  • bluesboarder
  • 34 Points
  • 20:32:43, 4 December

Interesting, thanks for the answers.

  • [-]
  • mach-2
  • 81 Points
  • 21:05:53, 4 December

I know this is not what you asked for but it's an experience I've had in a confined setting with a pedophile so I just thought I'd share it. I've written this here before.


We had a phantom molester in our dorm. Lights out was by 2200 hours. We'd usually be back from night prep and should be in bed by 2145 hours. It started with the tiny first year students. One of them said he felt someone touch him the night before. Where you might ask? Well, not on his arms, face or chest. Apparently the molester touched him on his pelvic region. He says when he started, he turned over because he felt a ticklish prodding on his bum cheeks. like someone was inspecting the freshness of the produce.

He didn't think anything of it then turned the other way with his mini me facing skywards. He was on the top bunk so that was closer to the ceiling. He felt a wetness spread across his crotch, like a tickling sensation. At that point we thought he was having a wet dream. No, no, no. This kid described to us in vivid detail, how he got a slobbery knob shining by the darkness. Here's where it gets interesting, he says he opened his eyes at that moment and caught a glimpse of his fellatio benefactor only to have a torch light shined in his eyes. He said he could make out a black singlet. That's all we had to go on. We all knew what we had to do. Everyone had to wait. The only students allowed to roam the hallway were the final years students. There was a molester at the very top of the circus and it was only a matter of time before he would strike again.

~

Now we were in the middle of the second term of school, that's like summer semester for the North Americans. This is the period in the boarding school when they confirm the assistant prefects who made it to the final year. Assistant prefects are chosen in their fifth year and confirmed in their final year due to good performance. A lot of them get dropped and replaced with someone else due to less than stellar performances or one infringement or the other. There was one particular fella who was so psyched up for the prefectship thingy. Let's call him O.O. Those are actually the initials of his name. He was struggling for the post of religious prefect, trying his best to abdicate the current religious prefect V.A.B(also initials). He was the straight edge kid, choir member, discipleship leader, member of the band. His record was pure white and he was in good graces with the staff. As always with kids like that, he was a power hungry asshole. He was one of those kids who grew tall at a young age, 6'2 at age 16. Needless to say, he had that cult demeanor. One night, the molester struck again. He struck the same room, only he went for the kid on the bottom bunk beneath the first victim. No one expected him to strike twice, but the molester was two steps ahead this chess game and he was sinking our battle ships.

~

Chaos and widespread paranoia swept across the dorm. You should have seen it, little kids fashioning makeshift weapons from hanging racks and clothe hangers. Some of us had sticks beside our beds. I hand a box cutter under my pillow. I sure as shit wasn't taking any chances. I wasn't really scared because it seemed like the molester was targetting weaker or inexperienced students. I was in the middle. But I also had quite an arse for a 14 year old so if he had a taste for ample booty, I was way up on the hit list. That week, we all slept in fear. Flinching at every sound. Door creaks were no longer innocuous. Running footsteps kicked our pulses into over drive. We were being haunted by our imaginations, but we knew, we knew. One sunday morning we woke up to see a black singlet drying on the lines outside. The molester had taken a vacation. We went for service and came back to the dorm, only to find the singlet gone. SHIT!

~

Now we had established that the molester was a senior student, wore a black singlet and had access to the dorm when we were at church. It would take him 5 minutes to skip out from the events hall and head to the dorm to harvest his drying clothes, giving him approximately two extra minutes to reach his bedroom. He would have to have a key to the back of the events hall, walk in the open and get waved off by staffs at the entrance, have a key to the dorms first door, get to the lines and have a key to the dorm's second door. The only people with such clout were the head boy (D.P), religious prefect (V.A.B), straight edge (O.O) and the house parent (J.D. Ali) . The house parent was out of the list, leaving us with two prefects and 1 none prefect. We were getting closer, we could feel it. It was time to turn to the most reviled bunch of students you could find on the campus at any given time. The small time snitches were employed to watch the three suspects. We had them placed within every sub-infrastructure of the school. They were in the sports team, in the choir, in the drama club and in the discipleship groups. We also had to approach a kid named Vino . This was a kid deft at hiding an avoiding detection from staff. He never attended assemblies, church services or sporting events. His hiding spot of choice was inside the asbestos ceilings. He would later scale the school fence and flee across 2 state lines with just his blanket and a packet of assorted biscuits but that's for a later story.

~

It was a rainy humid night. The lights were out. We had the hail stones clattering over the sheet metal roofs of the dorms. Everyone had calmed down a little since there had been no incident in two weeks. Lightning crashed at intervals, jolting us awake. It's like the universe was trying to warn us, but we didn't listen. I think it was because of the cool breeze wafting in through the windows, or maybe it was the therapeutic buzz of winged termites outside. It was the calm before the storm. I was an avid reader, I remember I was reading a Jeffrey Archer novel when I heard... A scream... the patter of running feet... Silence. I went out to the passage, everyone was up by now. A little kid was crying. Someone had groped him. He tried to scream but the person covered his mouth with a pillow. He felt hopeless, he had been defiled. All we could do was console him. This shit had to stop. Little did we know that the day of the confirmation would reveal the culprit. This was one week week later...

~

The week to the confirmation dragged on. By this time we where in "whodunnit" mode. We had ruled Daniel out because he was studying with a couple of friends when the kid got groped. It was (V.A.B) and (O.O) left on the list. Both claimed to be sleeping. Both were present when the kid screamed. To this day, I don't believe the molester was working alone... But that's another story. Anyway, O.O fell ill and had to be transferred to the school clinic. VAB knew O.O was out for his job, the whole school knew, it wasn't a hidden fact. On the day of the confirmation, the hall was charged. Name after name was called, the sports prefect had been dropped... Shit... He was more active than V.A.B. The principal went down the list until he got to the religious prefect. The hall fell silent... He took his time to flip through the notes. Our house parent and the choir master whispered into his ears. That was odd. He picked out the badge, and called up the name of the new prefect. We were all stunned. The whole hall sat in silence as the name was announced.

~

Now this is a fifth hand account about what I heard transpired. Apparently, V.AB went to the clinic with a couple of his friends to visit O.O who we had established was sick. V.A.B sat down calmly on the bed and woke O.O up, that was the signal for VAB's friends to break into a long drawn out laugh as VAB pulled out his confirmation badge and shoved it in O.O's face. The laughter was short lived when O.O leaned forward, coming out from underneath his blanket. O.O, the choir leader, discipleship preacher, band player, had on him a black singlet. VAB questioned him about his singlet, he said he got it out on box room day, the day we're allowed to get out supplies from our collective box room storage. The news spread. People started coming forward with stories of seeing O.O walking about at night. True or false, no one knows. Everyone was riding the bandwagon. The evidence began to add up. O.O was tall enough to grope a kid on the top bunk. He had the freedom to wonder about during the service. He was in good graces with the house parent. He hand a spare key to the dorm because he had to access the instrument room which was connected to the dorm. He had a bright florescent torch light which he used to study at night in high beam. But of all the evidence levelled against him, the number one thing that stood out was he ha never flirted with any girls from his class. He was single. Ofcourse, he got reported to the house parent but that didn't go anywhere. The charges were dismissed.

~

Was this a case of false accusation? Was O.O really the phantom pedo because he simply fit the criteria of odd. Well, I honestly can't answer because not less than two weeks later another student got groped. It was either O.O was the most resilient molester, or the groper was a junior student. The latter is a scary thought, one that holds water when you consider the inconsistencies in the story. It scares me to think there was a second man, that we crucified the wrong mole-ester. It scares me to think that the phantom roamed free. Some rocks are better left unturned.

TL;DR - From Africa with kiddie love.

EDIT: Vino's story for those who asked

  • [-]
  • kirchow
  • 1 Points
  • 21:14:18, 4 December

Would someone mind reading this and tell me if it's worth reading?

EDIT: Thanks reddit, I'll give the story a read!

  • [-]
  • Crimmins23
  • 1 Points
  • 21:26:29, 4 December

There was a molester at Hogwarts.

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • jolly_tas
  • 1 Points
  • 21:20:48, 4 December

Even the tl:dr doesn't give anything away.

  • [-]
  • veggiesama
  • 1 Points
  • 21:19:48, 4 December

It is. Read it twice to get the full effect, though.

  • [-]
  • Good_cat
  • 1 Points
  • 21:28:26, 4 December

My justice boner is flaccid, but its pretty well written.

  • [-]
  • CervixCrusher
  • 1 Points
  • 21:26:27, 4 December

Not necessarily related to OP, but still pretty interesting.

TL;DR - Boarding school has numerous cases of molestation, while the students attempt to find out who the mystery perpetrator is. Very well written.

  • [-]
  • algebratextbook
  • 1 Points
  • 21:31:58, 4 December

The narrator went to a boarding school for middle school. Someone older snuck in to rooms wearing a black singlet. He touch the kids' booties and perform oral sex on them. No one knew who it was because the perpetrator would temporarily blind the children with a bright flashlight when they awoke.

>O.O, the choir leader, discipleship preacher, band player, had on him a black singlet. VAB questioned him about his singlet, he said he got it out on box room day, the day we're allowed to get out supplies from our collective box room storage.

They caught the guy.

  • [-]
  • sgbar
  • 1 Points
  • 21:30:52, 4 December

I just read it, and I thought it was really interesting and really creepy.

  • [-]
  • HeAVeN012
  • 1 Points
  • 21:27:05, 4 December

I don't know. It's like a shitty chapter of The Hardy Boys with a so-so ending. 5\10. Pretty sure OP molested those kids anyway.

  • [-]
  • grarl
  • 1 Points
  • 21:28:59, 4 December

I didn't read it either, but based on the length, if you wait long enough someone will eventually /r/bestof it and the comments in that thread will tell you what you need to know.

  • [-]
  • left_star
  • 1 Points
  • 21:32:07, 4 December

Yes worth reading.

  • [-]
  • stompin_tutsis
  • 1 Points
  • 21:32:12, 4 December

it was more exciting in the beginning. i thought it was going to be some cool prison story, but it wasnt. I wasnt overly disappointed

  • [-]
  • Nymphetomine
  • 1 Points
  • 21:34:31, 4 December

worth it.

  • [-]
  • phen22
  • 1 Points
  • 21:35:21, 4 December

I skimmed, it's not a tree fiddy if that's what you're worried for.

  • [-]
  • Misterlolie
  • 1 Points
  • 21:37:12, 4 December

It's worth.

  • [-]
  • PugSpaceProgram
  • 1 Points
  • 21:41:22, 4 December

It is.

  • [-]
  • nasua
  • 1 Points
  • 21:43:03, 4 December

I don't know if I should admire your pragmatism or deride your laziness.

  • [-]
  • kirchow
  • 1 Points
  • 21:56:39, 4 December

My hope was that others like me would scroll to the end of the story and use the reply chain to decide if it was worth the read.

  • [-]
  • iamaredditer
  • 1 Points
  • 22:00:26, 4 December

Don't waste your time reading this.

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • Tribuchet
  • 1 Points
  • 21:28:23, 4 December

This was an incredibly well written story. Thanks for writing it for us. I just wish it ended with finding who it was. Though it being left unanswered also adds to the mystery of it all.

  • [-]
  • PeNutH3ad
  • 1 Points
  • 21:18:56, 4 December

Huh?

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • canyoucme
  • 3 Points
  • 21:02:14, 4 December

Did prison actually do anything to you mentally? Like change your state of mind and re-evaluate your life? Do you advice others who you think that are doing a crime that it's not worth doing and not the life they should follow?

  • [-]
  • mainlysane
  • 21 Points
  • 21:12:58, 4 December

Good question.

I was young and stupid. I thought I was owed a living and so I stole from the people who were closet to me: my family. I am not proud of that. It took several years to mend the damage I did to those relationships.

I'm sure that prison did change me in some very fundamental ways that I cannot possibly even realize or see from my own perspective. I know it made me smile less often. It made me quicker to judge people negatively. It made me more closed off, and sort of harder.

I always try to share my own experience with younger people who seem to be heading in the same direction I went, or even older people for that matter. But I have learned that most (if not all) people have to learn things the hard way. The best thing you can do is share your experience and wisdom with people in the hope that they will recognize it for what it's worth after the fact. You can't stop people from doing something idiotic, you can only help them realize where they went wrong. There is value in that.

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • Kush5150
  • 5 Points
  • 20:55:02, 4 December

Can I ask what you were in for?

  • [-]
  • mainlysane
  • 26 Points
  • 21:01:12, 4 December

The funny answer would be that I was in for a sex offense, but, alas, that would be a lie.

I spent 5 years (from 1995-2000) in prison in Michigan for Credit Card Fraud, Forgery and Prison Escape.

I spent 6 months of a 2 year sentence in a maximum security prison in Missouri in 2010-2011 for inability to pay child support. I did an AMA on it a while back.

  • [-]
  • mrsgarrison
  • 6 Points
  • 21:10:39, 4 December

Now I am incredibly intrigued. Mind linking to your AMA?

EDIT: Just found it.

  • [-]
  • Mr_Cumbox
  • 1 Points
  • 21:44:45, 4 December

Wait wait wait... You were kept at a regular prison, even after attempting to escape, but you were kept in a maximum security prison for inability to pay child support? God damn, either there is more to that story, or the justice system is even more fucked up than I realized...

  • [-]
  • Kush5150
  • 8 Points
  • 21:07:08, 4 December

Thanks for the reply. It's disheartening that someone would be sent to maximum security prison for inability to pay child support. I mean, wouldn't that just make the situation worse?

I'll have to read the ama.

  • [-]
  • lollypatrolly
  • 1 Points
  • 21:47:32, 4 December

At least he'll be able to pick up valuable money generating skills while in prison, like fraud and forgery.

  • [-]
  • mayonnaise_man
  • 5 Points
  • 21:05:23, 4 December

Scofield, is that you?

More Comments - Not Stored
More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • CthuluSpecialK
  • 1 Points
  • 21:37:39, 4 December

Sir, your posts are well written and you seem to be a fairly intelligent individual.

I don't mean to offend, so please don't take it that way, but why were you in prison? I would have let it go as a "too many parking tickets" or "hit and run" or "DUI" except you mentioned being in more than one facility.

I've only personally known 2 people who went to prison...(excluding the homeless people I would speak with). 1 was a 19 year old kid who "robbed" a convenience store with a screw-driver on a dare.

I say "robbed" because he walked in, demanded money, and as the cashier was opening the cash he said "No, I'm just kidding. I'm not actually here to rob anyone, it was a stupid joke." and then bought a pack of smokes... by the time he got to the end of the parking lot he was surrounded and arrested. He was an idiot. Good heart, but duuumb. Although I think he deserved to get arrested, I also feel 2 years in and 2 years probation really hurt his ability to progress in life. Mind you I recognize it's his own damn fault.

The second was a guy who had impulse control issues. Got mad at his dad for some reason, and while many of us would fume and walk it off... he punched and broke a random car window... outside across the street from a traffic cop... He messed up his hand a bit, and offered to pay the damages but was charged with breaking into a vehicle for the purposes of theft. Still deserved it, but I thought prison was a little much, but still I know it was his own fault.

So I guess I have a few questions in the end.

1) Are most people in prison intelligent people or less than intelligent ? I've seen that "bait car" show and cops and what not and those people just seem utterly stupid.. But then I watch prison documentaries and many seem pretty smart... so I'm curious for a first hard account.

2) Is it easy enough to make friends and stay safe in jail? Or are my nightmares of being pegged for something as simple as smoking weed and being squeezed for cash by some gang, beaten for no reason, or raped realistic?

3) Would you say, being an ex-prisoner, that many of the people there didn't belong in prison, or do you feel that they did and had little chance of rehabilitation?

4) Were there any redeeming qualities to going to prison? Such as figuring your life out, reorganizing priorities, stopping alcohol or drug abuse, etc.?

5) Feel free to decline, but I am curious as to why you went to prison.

6) Was it really that hard to get a job afterwards?

7) Were there any people in prison that you could genuinely consider a friend after the experience?

Once again, no offence meant. I am just genuinely a curious late 20 something professional that has watched way too many movies.

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • seemyjeans
  • 1 Points
  • 21:43:51, 4 December

From Michigan and for some reason I know off the top of my head which prison has a hospital. It must have been the one Criminal Justice class that I took in college. For some reason I toss this information out at parties like I'm super interesting for it.

  • [-]
  • xxam925
  • 1 Points
  • 21:26:03, 4 December

I am a california ex con. Child molesters and informants are immediately and severely beaten. There is no discussion and no warning. Usually a couple younger inmates or someone who is particularly violent are chosen to do the "work". Right before the yard is called they will beat whoever it is as severely as possible. The worse they hurt him the more credit they recieve.

Different "cars" (the gang you are associated with) have different policies on this type of thing. This would be on a level two or three yard and is the minimum of violence. If you are on a higher level (4) yard there is usually a no hands policy. That means hands are not to be used to settle anything, only a knife will suffice.

  • [-]
  • 41145and6
  • 1 Points
  • 21:48:51, 4 December

How did the level distinctions get handled for the yards?

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • YankeeBravo
  • 3 Points
  • 21:07:01, 4 December

>Is there like a criteria for who gets placed where?

Yes.

It varies on prison system, but all inmates (even misdemeanants in city/county jails) are given a security classification based on offense, prior record, pre-sentencing report and other factors.

  • [-]
  • freakazoidd
  • 2 Points
  • 21:06:56, 4 December

I believe some of them opt into protective custody as well.

  • [-]
  • ItWasF8
  • 1 Points
  • 21:45:53, 4 December

Yes. When I was in prison, there was a pastor who had been charged with child molestation...said he was in for cocaine possession..no doubt he had been coached into giving that response. Pastor or not...they'd have whooped his ass if they knew up front. Turns out, someone had doubts and paid an inmate in the Records room to look up his file..that's how it was discovered the pastor was lying.

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • slashdevslashzero
  • 24 Points
  • 21:04:17, 4 December

They clearly slipped those insanely confidential papers under your door for you to find.

  • [-]
  • mainlysane
  • 21 Points
  • 21:06:00, 4 December

Yeah, probably. It wouldn't be the first time a guard "accidentally" let something slip in order to promote a little vigilante justice.

  • [-]
  • canIcallyoupigfucker
  • 1 Points
  • 22:06:44, 4 December

What's confidential? Criminal offenses are public record. That stuff doesn't get broadcasted to the inmates, but it doesn't take much snooping through the papers to find out what's up. Especially if the prison has a decent library (you'd be surprised, some can even get online) there are no secrets with regard to offense.

Source: I'm a former prison psychologist

  • [-]
  • machinegunmax
  • 49 Points
  • 21:04:42, 4 December

"he probably deserved it" - If only there was some way he was already being punished for his crime deemed appropriate by society.

  • [-]
  • cuntxo
  • 1 Points
  • 21:23:55, 4 December

The term 'society' in itself is subjective. Who gets to decide the legal restrictions of entire nation of human beings?

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • UntouchedBox
  • 1 Points
  • 21:58:35, 4 December

Why would you tell anyone this? Did he wrong you in some way?

  • [-]
  • mantarey5500
  • 1071 Points
  • 20:38:49, 4 December

As a victim of sexual assault, I'd like to personally thank you and all other inmates like you.

The pedophile who molested me ten years ago is currently getting a free college education as part of his "recovery plan". He also receives free healthcare, a free gym membership, and a guaranteed three meals a day. As his victim, all I get is the knowledge that he might be suffering severe beatings and brutal rapes in the can for the next twenty years. I absolutely hope that his fellow inmates are making him pay for every single bit of torture he put me through, for my parent's divorce, for my suicide attempt, and for the three year trial that tore my family in two.

So, thank you.

EDIT: To everyone who is commenting about how the justice system isn't based on revenge, and to those who are implying that my feelings are somehow morally wrong: I respect your opinions. I don't feel the need to justify mine to you.

EDIT 2: To other victims out there who have now started commenting, I wish you the best. I respect the fact that you are "bigger" than me and don't wish this on anyone. That's a pretty admirable way to be. However, I would like for you and everyone else who reads this to keep in mind that you don't know me. I am a stranger on the internet and you don't know who I am. Thank you for your concern, I appreciate it. That being said, I hope you don't mind that I'm not going to take your assertions about my character seriously. My personal life is my personal life, and you, being another stranger on the internet, are not the best person to judge it. All the best.

FINAL EDIT: I thought I would put this on here because there are some seriously concerned people out there. Your concern is very much appreciated. I would like for you to know that I absolutely have sought help, and that I am a well-adjusted, genuinely happy human being. This is my opinion, as well as the opinion of my therapist and my psychiatrist. Again, thank you for your concern, I wanted to let all of you know that I am doing just fine, and that it's possible for perfectly sane people to have these opinions.

  • [-]
  • AnarkeIncarnate
  • 147 Points
  • 20:54:34, 4 December

I'm not a doctor, a therapist, or in many ways, even the nicest person, but I can offer you a bit of advice.

Forgive him or not, but do not let it own you. Do not become the person who was assaulted, but the product of that instead. If it doesn't make sense, one day I hope it will.

You will not gain any clarity or release from your suffering through his. Let him rot in agony or live in luxury, but to fix you, fix you.

You may or may not be a good person, but you hold the wheel. Be who you want to be as best you can. When you falter, right yourself.

  • [-]
  • tryify
  • 1 Points
  • 21:46:04, 4 December

Yes, if your happiness depends on the unhappiness of another, you have no control over your own feelings regarding the situation.

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • reditor12334
  • 1 Points
  • 21:43:17, 4 December

Do not forgive because they deserve it, forgive them to show you have moved on with your life.

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • BRBaraka
  • 1 Points
  • 21:43:03, 4 December

it's easy to say that

it's hard to do

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • ONE_GUY_ONE_JAR
  • 64 Points
  • 21:05:12, 4 December

It's funny how I always see Reddit threads about how great it is that other country's penal systems focus on rehabilitation, but are all for some offenders getting beaten by other prisoners and hate it when they take advantage of programs designed aid rehabilitation.

  • [-]
  • mantarey5500
  • 8 Points
  • 21:07:39, 4 December

Just look at some of the replies I'm receiving, and you'll figure out exactly how popular my opinion is. I wouldn't say that your assertion is entirely accurate based on that.

  • [-]
  • ONE_GUY_ONE_JAR
  • 1 Points
  • 21:16:53, 4 December

You're also being upvoted like mad and gilded in just 30 minutes. And other posts in this thread celebrating prison violence are also being received well. It's pretty clear the a lot of people here, maybe most, have no reservations about inmate violence if they think the victim deserves it.

More Comments - Not Stored
More Comments - Not Stored
More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • bluesboarder
  • 25 Points
  • 20:52:53, 4 December

Damn this is heavy stuff. Sorry to hear. I can only imagine the rage/mental emotion. Granite condoning Rape to someone who is a felon for revenge does sound a little outlandish but so does molesting people and being able to have all those amenities

  • [-]
  • 8gxe
  • 1 Points
  • 21:33:08, 4 December

> Granite

Granite, I know what you're saying.

  • [-]
  • bluesboarder
  • 1 Points
  • 21:42:14, 4 December

much appreciation for not ripping me to shreds lol

  • [-]
  • SheriffQuincy
  • 1 Points
  • 21:56:39, 4 December

I Marbled at it for awhile. Then I was just in awe.

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • hezec
  • 1 Points
  • 21:53:56, 4 December

> so does molesting people and being able to have all those amenities

It sounds outlandish because regular people don't have all those amenities there. Living in a Nordic country, I do have free college education and healthcare, and for as long as I'm a student, also (comparably) dirt-cheap healthy meals and gym access. The only benefit left for prisoners is "free rent", and obviously there's a reason for that... I guess America would need the same kind of universal access to make prisoner rehabilitation feel more "normal", and that's probably not going to happen. I'm not even considering the issue of commercial prisons.

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • WhoIsThisAssHoleHere
  • 1 Points
  • 21:28:26, 4 December

>I don't feel the need to justify mine to you.

As someone who has family members affected by the same trauma as you, fuck everyone else who judges you without having any idea of what you went through.

  • [-]
  • steak820
  • 1 Points
  • 22:10:07, 4 December

That ok, fuck you too and your pro-rape ideals.

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • cloakingdevice
  • 1 Points
  • 21:33:31, 4 December

I don't know what prison he's in, but if it even comes close to where I was incarcerated, "free healthcare" = here's a tylenol go away and "free gym membership" = go walk laps.

  • [-]
  • Asdayasman
  • 1 Points
  • 21:44:51, 4 December

> He also receives free healthcare

Wow it's like basic human rights happened at some point.

  • [-]
  • heebsydoesit
  • 1 Points
  • 21:19:35, 4 December

So an eye for an eye?

  • [-]
  • Quite_Ridiculous
  • 263 Points
  • 20:42:34, 4 December

> As his victim, all I get is the knowledge that he might be suffering sever beatings and brutal rapes in the can for the next twenty years. I absolutely hope that his fellow inmates are making him pay for every single bit of torture he put me through.

I'd like to know why would you condone rape at all? What good would come of it?

Edit: Apparently this is a hot issue. So I'll put a little more into my view:

Revenge would only give the victim the possibility of positive satisfaction and affirmation. Sure, that seems good emotionally from the victim's standpoint, but is it actually doing anything to improve society? It only hurts the victim and raises the possibility of more violence, and it requires an aggressor to actually commit the act itself, whatever it may be in rape, murder, etc.

Even for the argument of stopping someone from committing the crime(s) again, the government can't administer executions and the death penalty for every rapist, child molester, etc., lest we start to trample on human rights. A rapist has no room to be rehabilitated and deserves death, but another crime committed can? We already execute a high amount of prisoners, and most progressive countries and people think the death penalty doesn't work and isn't humane. Why radically expand it?

And in turn, require that someone take the plunge to kill another person each time it's sentenced.

  • [-]
  • kolega
  • 1 Points
  • 21:28:38, 4 December

Ladies and gentlemen, that's why you don't let victims sentence criminals.

  • [-]
  • mantarey5500
  • 1 Points
  • 21:34:02, 4 December

I agree with you 100%

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • mantarey5500
  • 82 Points
  • 20:44:06, 4 December

The person who molested me was pretty much sub-human. He felt absolutely no empathy, remorse, or guilt for what he did. So maybe a brutal rape will teach him to feel what I felt.

  • [-]
  • quipps
  • 152 Points
  • 20:48:20, 4 December

Do you really want to live in a society where the government can hand out rape as a punishment? Considering that somebody could due receive such a punishment even if they're innocent much like people who receive life or even death sentences wrongly.

  • [-]
  • TrebeksUpperLIp
  • 18 Points
  • 20:57:11, 4 December

Also, the people that do these rapings aren't going to be that discriminatory. What happens when they come across someone in the shower they want to fuck that isn't a pedo. Or when they get released and they've been getting away with raping people on the inside?

  • [-]
  • quipps
  • 21 Points
  • 21:03:10, 4 December

Indeed I believe acts of rape and beatings like this are far, far more for the pleasure of the rapist than any sense of justice. I fail to see how encouraging rape can prevent rape as you say, it just creates rapists.

  • [-]
  • Iwasraisedonthedairy
  • 1 Points
  • 21:19:10, 4 December

OP just wants him to feel the way s/he felt. The physical and emotional pain. Not to teach him not to be a rapist.

Also, s/he was not stating that the justice system should punish sex offenders with rape, but that maybe other inmates could just give him a little taste of his own medicine. And I don't blame OP for feeling that way.

Obviously OP is still very hurt by the events, and anger is always a result of pain.

  • [-]
  • floydw6
  • 1 Points
  • 22:06:54, 4 December

as someone that has been raped. i wouldnt wish rape on my worst enemy. Being that this person has been thru it as well im confused as to why they think its ok to do that to someone else?

  • [-]
  • cuntxo
  • 1 Points
  • 21:16:33, 4 December

'I hereby sentence you to 4 years in a maximum security prison and 22 rapes by massive black cock'.

Rape isn't a part of induced punishment. There COULD be more preventative measures but this isn't for the pure reason that it's not reported because it's 'emasculating'.

  • [-]
  • Miztahfrawg
  • 38 Points
  • 20:56:05, 4 December

To be fair, the government isn't the "Rape Dealer" in the described situation. The other jailbirds are.

  • [-]
  • quipps
  • 17 Points
  • 21:04:05, 4 December

If you believe in an 'eye for an eye' justice the logical extension is that you want the government to become the 'rape dealer.'

Equally it seems to be some unwritten thing that rape is just an added punishment some people will have to face in prison which to me can never seem right.

  • [-]
  • kunk180
  • 26 Points
  • 21:13:10, 4 December

I know this is a very serious converstIon, but this term "rape dealer" is making me laugh way too hard as a imagine a Vegas style gambling table and some dude looks at his card and just curses to himself.

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • Miztahfrawg
  • 12 Points
  • 21:08:16, 4 December

Rape doesn't exist in prison because someone says it's right, it simply exists because prisons tend to be full of rapists. Calling prison rape "Punishment" sounds like an excuse used by a prison rapist. I'm not saying that makes it acceptable by any means, rather that it ought to be recognized as a problem and should still be handeld just as strictly as rape outside a prison.

  • [-]
  • quipps
  • 18 Points
  • 21:13:59, 4 December

>Rape doesn't exist in prison because someone says it's righ

But people in this thread and in society believe it's right. Not only are constant jokes made about prison rape but people do seriously believe that a lot of people raped in prison utterly deserve it for their crimes.

More Comments - Not Stored
More Comments - Not Stored
More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • mantarey5500
  • 101 Points
  • 20:53:34, 4 December

Look, I'm not going to argue morals with you here. You'd have to have been a victim going through a trial to understand why I feel the way I feel. What I feel may not be justifiable, but honestly, I don't give a damn. My personal views on punishment and justice completely changed as a result of what I went through. And honestly, I don't feel the need to justify my feelings about perpetrators to you.

That being said, I respect your opinion, I only ask that you also respect my right to have an opinion of my own.

  • [-]
  • schrodingers_human
  • 1 Points
  • 21:35:58, 4 December

I was a child victim and a witness at trial. I get why you feel that way, and I respect your right to feel however you want. I think you've already realized it's not your fault, and there's no shame in being the victim.

Here's my understanding: My abuser was abused as a child. He abused on reflex as an adult, believing it wasn't even really a choice. He was wrong about that.

He was probably left feeling angry and out of control. Being the abuser gave him the sense of power and control for a short while by reversing the roles. It looked like he was heartless. Maybe. But he was definitely damaged, and damaged people are miserable.

It doesn't make what he did ok.

But nobody ever learned to empathize by being raped. So if your anger is enough that you wish they would lead you to the cell, put a hot poker in your hand, and leave you two alone for 20 min... Just say so. I can understand. But also know the torture, or beatings, or rape... will leave him more angry and out of control and not any more human. Even, ironically, MORE likely to do it again, not less.

But that's not the damaged person you need to be most concerned about. I said damaged people are miserable, and it may take decades to discover how deep your wound is. You can't change what happened, and you can't change who your molester is. The only way you can win is to heal the best you can, and protect others from the same happening to them.

I'm sorry your molester can't feel what you feel. He can't KNOW the hurt and the anger he caused. I wish there was a way he could stare into the well of your soul and see what he caused. I'm sad there isn't. The totally unfair reality is that your hurt and anger are your burden and even when you nurture them, it still doesn't hurt him at all.

I'm really sorry for what happened to you. And thank you for your courage at trial. Thank you for helping protect others in a way we all failed to protect you.

  • [-]
  • Throwingitaway283
  • 58 Points
  • 21:12:19, 4 December

Throwaway because I have relatives who use the site and I haven't told. I was a victim on sexual assault last year.

My rapist is barely serving any time and he pretty much got off scot-free on mental illness. I wouldn't wish what happened to me on anyone even him. I felt powerless, abused and scarred. I wouldn't gain any sick satisfaction if it happened to him because it doesn't change the fact it happened to me and I still feel it to this day.

  • [-]
  • TheIronShaft
  • 1 Points
  • 22:07:47, 4 December

That's because you're a rational person who deserves to live in modern society. Wishing rape on someone when you know exactly how it feels, as /u/mantarey5500 has done, is what makes someone subhuman.

  • [-]
  • SparkedFart
  • 1 Points
  • 21:38:41, 4 December

Feelings never need to be justified as they're uncontrollable. Your thoughts/actions are controllable however, and you should justify them to yourself (for your own sake/lasting happiness). It's the difference between acting/thinking emotionally (instant satisfactions with later regrets) and acting/thinking logically with emotions considered to be another argument/something to weigh (lasting satisfactions/happiness).

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • f0rcedinducti0n
  • 1 Points
  • 21:52:30, 4 December

Obviously the system failed you too. I'm not going to judge your opinion or try to claim I understand how you feel, but what you're asking for isn't justice, it is revenge. You simply cannot have both.

Holding onto hatred is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die.

  • [-]
  • KingJako
  • 1 Points
  • 21:58:30, 4 December

We respect your opinion, but we are only concerned for your well-being. Harbouring these opinions will only ensure that your mental stability remain a wreck. Yes, I am saying that you have a mental health problem; the nice part is that it can be fixed with an open mind and some professional guidance.

  • [-]
  • Cliqey
  • 21 Points
  • 21:09:04, 4 December

Yeah, no, I'm sorry, not gonna let this one slide. I am a "victim" also, but first of all, I don't let that define me.

It is definitely your right to think and feel however you want, but when you start encouraging harmful actions that could affect another person, you are crossing a line. There is a difference between saying "I feel warm" and "There's a fire!" when you are in a crowd.

Fine, be a vindictive, vengeful person, but do the world a favor and do so in your own head. Don't go feeding the flames and making the world even more violent and hateful than it already is.

  • [-]
  • HillaB
  • 1 Points
  • 21:33:53, 4 December

> encouraging harmful actions

Maybe I missed it but... where was she encouraging anything here? She has hope that the person who hurt her gets hurt in the same way. I don't think she's out paying someone to do it, or broadcasting her attacker's name and cell block number. She hopes he gets a punishment that is equal to what he put her through. And she is just as much allowed to state these hopes as you are to state that you disagree with them.

  • [-]
  • Backstyck
  • 1 Points
  • 21:58:42, 4 December

Her original comment was thanking the inmates, not for beating her rapist, but for the tendency for inmates to beat charged rapists. There will inevitably be innocent people convicted of rape. This tendency will not be kind to them, if it is perpetuated. That seems to be the problem that most have with her comment and of the opinion that rape should be be used as punishment, as well.

  • [-]
  • Deepakpar
  • 1 Points
  • 21:47:19, 4 December

You can always stop reading. He/ she has every right to express her emotion here. This is a thread about sexual assault.

  • [-]
  • HillaB
  • 1 Points
  • 21:53:44, 4 December

> He/ she has every right to express her emotion here

I just... that's exactly what I was saying... Everyone has the right to express their emotions here.

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • Eskelsar
  • 1 Points
  • 21:39:55, 4 December

>not gonna let this one slide

Okay? It's not about you. You don't need to let it slide. He/she said they wouldn't attempt to justify themselves to you, so that's that.

  • [-]
  • Ergheis
  • 1 Points
  • 21:50:40, 4 December

He's an important man. He's not gonna let it slide. She's probably shaking in her boots knowing he won't let it slide.

  • [-]
  • ShadoWolf
  • 1 Points
  • 22:06:25, 4 December

I think the intent of the statement was to say they won't let statement go unchallenged due to their status of being a victim.

  • [-]
  • emordnilapaton
  • 1 Points
  • 21:50:44, 4 December

why are you trying to keep everyone from posting replies? It's their right as much as it is op's right to express her opinion...

More Comments - Not Stored
More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • cuntxo
  • 1 Points
  • 21:19:27, 4 December

She was raped. She can hate if she wants to. She can also wish that the sub-human who attacked her is raped.

  • [-]
  • dezmd
  • 1 Points
  • 21:28:57, 4 December

You missed the point, advocating it out loud to others in a public forum is a lot different than wishing it in a personal or internal setting.

  • [-]
  • Hodgkins
  • 1 Points
  • 21:36:35, 4 December

Is it so wrong that he/she wishes/advocates that the person who wronged them could feel what it was like to be wronged?

More Comments - Not Stored
More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • quantumquixote
  • 1 Points
  • 21:38:09, 4 December

You're right. I don't know why anyone would say something like that anonymously on the internet if there were the slightest chance that someone were to find it offensive.

More Comments - Not Stored
More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • Nickitydd
  • 1 Points
  • 21:44:29, 4 December

Actually, the world is a hell of a lot less violent than it ever has been.

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • Selmer_Sax
  • 1 Points
  • 21:45:36, 4 December

Just because you're a victim doesn't mean we should not present our opposing views. Being a victim is not a trump card.

The victim is on the opposite side of a spectrum from the perpetrator. The criminal justice system is supposed to be a halfway house, not swayed to either side of that spectrum of opinions.

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • emordnilapaton
  • 1 Points
  • 21:26:51, 4 December

If you don't want to justify your opinions. Don't advocate them in a public forum.

  • [-]
  • Eskelsar
  • 1 Points
  • 21:42:51, 4 December

If you don't want to justify your opinions, that's your right, regardless of whether or not everyone is blowing up at you because you posted them in a public forum.

  • [-]
  • emordnilapaton
  • 1 Points
  • 21:54:37, 4 December

Redditors don't have the right to ask her certain questions simply because she said that she didn't want to justify her opinion?

  • [-]
  • quipps
  • -2 Points
  • 21:01:37, 4 December

Well that's why I'm trying not to talk about your own personal case and the natural revenge you want which I can fully understand and have no qualms with and no desire to tell you you're wrong about.

Rather do you want to live in a society where if you were wrongly convicted of a crime you or somebody else who is innocent could be raped as punishment because that's seen as justice? Do you somehow think encouraging rape is actually going to prevent victims of rape or will it create a culture that validates rape even further?

  • [-]
  • Akira_kj
  • 1 Points
  • 21:26:40, 4 December

Forgivness isn't about forgiving the perp, its about living without hate and anger. Sounds to me like Mantarey5500 is harbouring resentment and anger that no punishment or prison rapes will ever fill. Some people find solus in helping other victims, counseling, or distance/time. I'm no expert but have some first hand knowlage so I respectfully limit my responce to generalizations and personal opinion. Hate and anger need to be let go of before a person can live a life independent of the victimization put on them by a preditor. Its not their fault but is very important that they do not allow a person to control their emotions and decisons after the harm has been done. Not easy to do but much more important than wishing harm on other people. This is considered transference and should be avoided as part of a healthy recovery. It feels empowering but is a false sence of security, people eventually get out of prison and are no longer punished; unlike victims who are unable to let go of being a victim. Without forgiveness and personal tools for dealing with victimization, many people have breakdowns 10-20 years later when their perp is released.

  • [-]
  • quipps
  • 1 Points
  • 21:27:33, 4 December

I agree and hope he comes to terms with his personal daemons and gets some help.

More Comments - Not Stored
More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • therealflinchy
  • 1 Points
  • 21:55:35, 4 December

Sure, why not?

we live in a society where people can be jailed for life, euthanized, and can otherwise be denied basic rights on a day to day basis.

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • YourBabyDaddy
  • 6 Points
  • 20:49:42, 4 December

But it probably won't.

  • [-]
  • f0rcedinducti0n
  • 1 Points
  • 21:50:49, 4 December

I think you just explained why it won't make any difference to him.

  • [-]
  • zap2
  • 45 Points
  • 20:49:49, 4 December

That's revenge. Our prison system shouldn't be based on revenge.

I'm very sorry for what happened to you. But revenge isn't acceptable.

  • [-]
  • cassycas
  • 32 Points
  • 21:08:30, 4 December

Revenge may not be acceptable, but you'd be a liar if you said that it doesn't feel damn good.

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • jfsdaonfasodf
  • 44 Points
  • 20:55:14, 4 December

You'd be singing a different song if it were you.

  • [-]
  • OsmoZ
  • 105 Points
  • 20:57:44, 4 December

Maybe he would. It wouldn't make the process righter though.

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • Samonuh
  • 1 Points
  • 21:40:02, 4 December

That's exactly why his point is important. People lose proper judgment in fits of rage, hence our legal system being void of vengeance-inspired punishment.

  • [-]
  • Selmer_Sax
  • 1 Points
  • 21:41:32, 4 December

But the ideal justice system is impartial and not subject to those feelings. It would give the exact same result for identical cases. If you are suggesting that we take the victim's revenge as correct then what is the point of a criminal justice system?

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • ewat85
  • 1 Points
  • 21:52:54, 4 December

This is exactly why I don't think victims statements at trials are appropriate. Our justice system is State of ______ vs Accused, or People vs. Accused; it is not Victim A vs Accused.

There are numerous theories of punishment but the reality of the situation is that we have created a system that seeks to remove revenge from the equation. Yet, at the moment immediately prior to determining a sentence we allow revenge to be placed front and center in front of the jury.

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • usingpond
  • 1 Points
  • 21:55:39, 4 December

So what? The justice system is based on objectivity, not personal emotions. Also, you don't even know that.

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • zap2
  • 12 Points
  • 20:56:55, 4 December

Please don't tell me what I'd feel if I was in this situation.

I know where I stand on this issue.

  • [-]
  • dremic
  • 19 Points
  • 21:07:16, 4 December

i think its pretty easy to say where youd stand without actually going through the adversity of what this person went through.

edit: some of you dislike my post. I see where some of you are coming from. Let me clarify because some of you may be confused by what I mean.

It is super easy to say you would do or feel or think a certain way when you are discussing an experience that is foreign to you.

When you look at a situation from the outside and say "oh well I know where I'd stand and it wouldn't be where you're standing"

thats not a fair thing to say, because you HAVENT stood there. you dont have the experience.

Im not saying his way of thinking is right or wrong. Im just saying that those experiences will change ANYBODY and its impossible for you to say youd feel one way without actually having those experiences.

  • [-]
  • BSL-4
  • 1 Points
  • 21:25:12, 4 December

It is easy because your decision isn't based on irrational emotions. I don't see how that is a bad thing. You might punch someone in the face for insulting you in the heat of the moment, but in a more level-headed state you would see that as unreasonable. I'm sorry to the OP, but we don't let the victims set the terms for the punishment for exactly this reason.

The whole "you wouldn't understand unless you've been through it yourself" mentality is really counter-productive to a rational debate. When your main point is that the other person's argument isn't irrational enough, you're not in much of a position to argue.

2¢

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • x755x
  • 1 Points
  • 21:53:33, 4 December

I don't think you need to experience rape to have a stance on how criminals should be treated. In fact, I think it would be detrimental. You can't make a decision logically when you're so emotionally invested in the situation, as a rape victim would be.

  • [-]
  • TJ5897
  • 1 Points
  • 21:19:14, 4 December

If he got raped he would not be thinking critically. He may want vengeance, but that doesn't make it any more okay.

  • [-]
  • unender
  • 1 Points
  • 21:27:22, 4 December

Take note I'm not the person you directed that towards, that being said... Let's not make those types of assumptions.

  • [-]
  • tryify
  • 1 Points
  • 21:45:29, 4 December

No, I wouldn't, and don't. Vengeance heals no one.

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • wingnut0000
  • 8 Points
  • 21:06:48, 4 December

This ain't Batman dude.

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • c0horst
  • 1 Points
  • 20:52:53, 4 December

Your right. Revenge isn't acceptable. its about making sure it doesnt happens again. So he should be put down like a rabid dog.

  • [-]
  • OneHandsomeSheep
  • 1 Points
  • 21:17:54, 4 December

Getting real stupid up in here.

  • [-]
  • Samonuh
  • 1 Points
  • 21:41:27, 4 December

It's typical reddit. Just keep in mind that you're surrounded by a bunch of blood-thirsty, subtly racist, middle-class white boys who were bullied in middle school. Whenever I start getting angry at a ridiculous post here, I remind myself of this.

  • [-]
  • jmalbo35
  • 1 Points
  • 22:02:57, 4 December

Yeah, ad hominem against anyone with different opinions than you is a great habit to be in, it really makes you open minded. I'm not white (not seeing how that's relevant here in any way though, considering this isn't a race/privilege related issue), nor racist, and wasn't bullied, but I don't see why someone who commits violent rape deserves the right to live.

Assuming there's concrete evidence to convict someone (clear video footage, caught in the act, etc.), why should they be allowed to live? They've infringed deeply on someone else's rights and have clearly demonstrated an inability to live by rules of society and respect human rights at that point, so why should taxpayers fund the rest of their lives being lived out without having to contribute anything back to society?

More Comments - Not Stored
More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • Marsdreamer
  • 1 Points
  • 21:36:45, 4 December

The justice system is about rehabilitation and reintegration into normal society. Every other modern country gets this, Americans are still behind, however.

And while I sympathize with the OP here this is exactly why we have laws. If people just went around enacting the justice they deem fit for a wrong, we'd have literal anarchy.

Stricter punishments do not protect the people and they do not deter crime. Here we have one of the strictest and ruthless justice systems in the world and yet we also have the highest crime rate of any industrialized nation.

As odd as it may seem, many criminals themselves are in fact victims as well.

  • [-]
  • zap2
  • 15 Points
  • 20:55:22, 4 December

Jail for life serves the same purpose.

And you're assuming he/she can't be rehabilitated. I think that's a faulty assumption.

More Comments - Not Stored
More Comments - Not Stored
More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • ArtAsylumBoy
  • 1 Points
  • 21:19:17, 4 December

Animals like that need to be put down. These idiots want to talk about redemption? Fine, I've heard about this great therapy for rapists and molesters. You put a bullet through their head and it alters their brain in such a way that they never hurt anyone again. 100% success rate.

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • longboardingerrday
  • 1 Points
  • 21:49:46, 4 December

That's fucked up. You can't agree with one rape just because you determined him to be "sub-human". What if someone else determines someone to be "sub-human" is it okay if they're raped too?

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • deaaad
  • 1 Points
  • 21:52:18, 4 December

his punishment is the prison sentence. possible rape is not meant to be part of the system. i can see why you would be happy about it, but im sure you can understand why advocating vigilante justice via other criminals is a bad idea.

  • [-]
  • GEAUXUL
  • 1 Points
  • 21:21:30, 4 December

That's nice but do you realize you sound just as sub-human as he does? That's why you're getting so much push back for your comments.

  • [-]
  • mantarey5500
  • 1 Points
  • 21:24:15, 4 December

I'm perfectly fine with getting "push-back". Reddit is a great forum for debate, and I'm glad people are getting passionate about this comment. There are some interesting discussions going on here. I'm choosing not to participate because I've said my piece, not because I'm afraid of "push-back".

More Comments - Not Stored
More Comments - Not Stored
More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • rpsayshi
  • 36 Points
  • 20:48:02, 4 December

Yeah, if being raped was that bad (which I am sure it was) why would you wish that upon others?

  • [-]
  • Levodextro
  • 1 Points
  • 21:18:57, 4 December

When people do bad things to you it's perfectly normal to want bad things to happen to them. Thankfully we live in a society where you can't just go murder the guy who killed your wife, but it's hardly psychotic to want to.

Some abuse victim wants their rapist to suffer. This is hardly headline shit, what's everyone so worked up about?

  • [-]
  • BaconBeard
  • 1 Points
  • 21:43:28, 4 December

This! I mean, revenge is a pretty normal thing for some people to want, and if you place yourself in the victims shoes, I don't see how it's so hard to understand why he thinks this way.

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • mmelvis
  • 1 Points
  • 21:30:34, 4 December

Because the person they are condemning are no longer an innocent. They chose their action, and should have to deal with the consequences.

  • [-]
  • JK0807
  • 1 Points
  • 21:17:00, 4 December

You say it as if he/she is wishing it upon a bunch of innocent people. He/she is talking about a sexual offender not just some random citizen.

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • pascontent
  • 67 Points
  • 21:01:55, 4 December

It's not like it was wished to a friend. It is that bad, and someone who inflicts it only deserves something at least that bad.

At least, that's how I'm interpreting OP here.

  • [-]
  • J_Chargelot
  • 112 Points
  • 21:08:49, 4 December

Well you know what they say. A rape for a rape leaves the whole world bleeding from the anus.

  • [-]
  • DJgoat
  • 1 Points
  • 21:21:24, 4 December

-Gandhi

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • Riffy
  • 1 Points
  • 21:22:20, 4 December

No it doesn't, because you use a Robot to commit the rape on the criminal. I've had this idea for a while, the only part where it falls apart is if you don't have 100% proof they committed a crime. Although if you did have irrefutable evidence; then just program a robot to commit the act that they did unto someone, to them.

  • [-]
  • J_Chargelot
  • 1 Points
  • 21:26:44, 4 December

Following this poor excuse for logic, the programmer deserves to be raped next, don't they? Or the person who approved this? Or the person strapping you in? Or the person activating the device? Personal responsibility doesn't disappear because you clicked a button instead of unzipping your pants. It actually just spreads it around faster.

More Comments - Not Stored
More Comments - Not Stored
More Comments - Not Stored
More Comments - Not Stored
More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • drock_davis
  • 1 Points
  • 21:42:56, 4 December

It sucks he did that to you. But in my experience a person with that kind of/level of hate in your heart ends up consuming him/her too. And really that's what's damaging. I hope you have people to talk to support you in this/life.

  • [-]
  • Mister_Kurtz
  • 1 Points
  • 21:17:16, 4 December

Are you saying justice is best handled by criminals?

  • [-]
  • 1920x1080P
  • 21 Points
  • 21:13:47, 4 December

Fuck these people, you seem to have a pretty good grasp on things and a healthy attitude.
It's completely normal to want him to suffer, the idea that somehow it's immoral to wish it on him is utterly insane.

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • AltHypo
  • 1 Points
  • 21:38:39, 4 December

I'm really big on prisoner's rights and ending capital punishment because I believe the purpose of incarceration is rehabilitation and not punishment or revenge. Often when I discuss these things people say to me "what if it was YOUR daughter that was killed/raped/whatever?" My answer is always that I would not be a suitable juror for that trial because of my obvious bias. In much the same way I accept and understand your position here, but I feel that other's reading it will feel that it justifies their anger even though they aren't involved in your case. That type of abstract vengeance mindset is what keeps our prison system being one of the most wasteful and least effective (based on recidivism rates) in the world.

  • [-]
  • glasscut
  • 1 Points
  • 21:46:28, 4 December

I felt weird reading this, but your edits are really quite lucid and clear about where you're coming from. Kudos and the best to you on your recovery.

  • [-]
  • BetterThenAllOfYou
  • 1 Points
  • 21:52:01, 4 December

I'm really sorry about what happened to you, the person that molested you deserves being beaten every day, but I don't think it's a good thing that you want him to suffer. Of course you have every right to feel that way (I would probably feel the same way if I was in your position), but hate consumes you, and if you need to know that he is suffering to feel better about your own life it will only make you feel worse. I'm not saying that you should forgive him, but I hope that you can let it go one day, not for him, but for yourself.

  • [-]
  • Versaeus
  • 1 Points
  • 21:56:31, 4 December

This doesn't ring true - I assume you're in the US because you used 'college', but this information wouldn't be accessible to you.

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • GOthee
  • 1 Points
  • 21:57:14, 4 December

AT least you respect good people but remember that wishing negattive thoughts to anyone no matter how bad they are is just wrong. YOu can say " I respect your opinions¨ But they are not oppinion thats how we should be, and promoting a revngful behaviour is ust bad. Im sorry for what you went through but thats not an excuse to think like that.

EDIT bad englando

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • ZigZalgo
  • 1 Points
  • 22:01:44, 4 December

Upvote entirely due to edit 1. Keep on being wise good sir.

  • [-]
  • Something_Funny
  • 1 Points
  • 22:05:22, 4 December

The maturity and calm rationality with which you responded in your edits is stunning. I sincerely wish you all the best and hope that you have or can continue to work through the horrible things that you were put through.

  • [-]
  • Dcoil1
  • 1 Points
  • 22:06:14, 4 December

>EDIT: To everyone who is commenting about how the justice system isn't based on revenge, and to those who are implying that my feelings are somehow morally wrong: I respect your opinions. I don't feel the need to justify mine to you.

Fucking BRA-VO!

  • [-]
  • DefinitelyNotFreud
  • 22 Points
  • 21:07:29, 4 December

The people telling you that you're sick are douchebags who obviously haven't experienced the criminal justice system from your perspective. You sound strong and resolve, I wish you all the best. :)

  • [-]
  • mantarey5500
  • 39 Points
  • 21:11:34, 4 December

Thanks :) I appreciate it.

It's funny, I've only posted about this incident maybe once? Twice? But the one time I did post something about it, I got a bunch of replies and PMs telling me that I was "an attention-seeking cunt", and they "bet I bring it up all the time". That's probably the single worst thing that someone's ever said to me, to be honest. It really shook me up, and I swore off Reddit for a while.

The replies and PMs I'm getting now are WAY worse than that, but somehow they don't bother me. I think it's because this is one issue that I know I'm completely alone in my opinion on, and I've gotten used to it. I don't talk about my views on the justice system very often, specifically because they go against everything we're taught from a young age.

Anyway, thanks for being sympathetic, it's much appreciated :)

  • [-]
  • dingoperson
  • 1 Points
  • 21:28:36, 4 December

You aren't alone. I don't wish this on anyone at the present, but know myself well enough to realize that just maybe, under particular sets of circumstances I could have.

  • [-]
  • Toastbuns
  • 1 Points
  • 21:29:53, 4 December

Hey. I don't know if you will read this or if it even matters but I respect your opinion, while I may not be able to entirely understand or agree with it. I hope that you can move past this traumatic event in your life and be happy. You deserve all the happiness in the world.

  • [-]
  • Riodancer
  • 1 Points
  • 21:37:36, 4 December

Definitely not alone. I would've done the same.

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • TJ5897
  • 1 Points
  • 21:18:14, 4 December

Because Revenge for the victim = justice.

Your vengeance is a burden on society because our current prison system is build around it. Rather than attempting to make prisoners functioning members of society we send them to be raped and assaulted, then wonder why they come out worse than when they went in.

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • zulu49
  • 30 Points
  • 20:48:42, 4 December

You seriously need some therapy

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • bethlookner
  • 8 Points
  • 21:12:56, 4 December

No one's asking you to justify your opinion. But I do take issue with your comments about health care and free gym membership. I find them laughable.

  • [-]
  • mainlysane
  • 7 Points
  • 20:48:57, 4 December

Anyone who would do that to a child/person is an asshole. I can't promise with any certainty that he's suffering, but I do know this: people who are assholes in prison tend to pay for it. Hard.

  • [-]
  • coffeedude7
  • 1 Points
  • 21:45:30, 4 December

No...pun....intended....

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • benimbolo
  • 1 Points
  • 21:41:22, 4 December

>As his victim, all I get is the knowledge that he might be suffering severe beatings and brutal rapes in the can for the next twenty years. I absolutely hope that his fellow inmates are making him pay for every single bit of torture he put me through, for my parent's divorce, for my suicide attempt, and for the three year trial that tore my family in two.

He can't be the cause of all of your problems forever. You need to realize that past feelings and events can and should be overcome. Feelings are something that are within your control. Feeling hatred and anger is a choice that you make and it is how you harm yourself.

Here is an interesting speech. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx_vty8CeHQ

  • [-]
  • mantarey5500
  • 1 Points
  • 21:44:32, 4 December

Thanks, I look forward to watching that!

I disagree that emotion is a choice. I spent some time in a mental rehabilitation center, and I learned that what we feel is not a choice. We do have a choice about how we act on those feelings, though, and that's what I have power over. Eventually, action translates to emotion.

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • HillaB
  • 1 Points
  • 21:29:03, 4 December

This may be lost in the abyss of judgmental comments, but I'd like to tell you that I completely understand where you're coming from, and also respect your responses to those who are calling you wrong for feeling the way you do - very classy and you clearly have a great head on your shoulders. Stay strong. <3

  • [-]
  • Twocann
  • 1 Points
  • 22:00:36, 4 December

Shit-abyss.

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • babyshanks
  • 6 Points
  • 21:03:14, 4 December

Wow so many perks, he must be the happiest guy alive. /s

  • [-]
  • SpanishSpice
  • 1 Points
  • 21:24:48, 4 December

I'm so so sorry. I really hope everything goes well for you! And the losers judging you can go fuck themselves. I find it hilarious how some redditors can muster up all the empathy/sympathy in the damn world for child molestors/rapists, but then use a cold approach to people who actually deserve empathy. You really don't have to justify yourself to anyone. Only you went through your experience so you have every right to feel a certain way. I hope you let go of those feelings ONLY because it will lift a weight off your shoulders, I hope.

  • [-]
  • MattKingFTW
  • 1 Points
  • 21:26:19, 4 December

Thinking rape in any case is ok undermines your abuse as well as all others. Its wrong all the time no matter who to. Thinking it is right to punish using the same thing they did is not what justice is. I have no sympathy for someone who lives by "an eye for an eye" because we shouldn't live in a world like that.

  • [-]
  • zaran42
  • 1 Points
  • 21:24:23, 4 December

I love it when threads get hijacked by crap like this.

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • Tr0llphace
  • 1 Points
  • 21:34:21, 4 December

so reddit is suddenly supporters of vigilante justice? guess what, all victims of crime suffer for it, you aren't special.

fact: Serving time in prison is the punishment for doing crimes, not being beaten/raped/tortured while in prison. It's not okay to say person X 'deserves' that because the actions of other prisoners are not an extension of the justice system. They might beat up and rape that guy, but they'll also turn around and also beat up and rape someone else who is in for something minor.

They're not doing it out of some twisted sense of justice, its because they're predatory and target anyone vulnerable, and typically people who are in for sexual assault don't have other people to back them up in prison, making them an easy target. Rest assured that the same inmates you're cheering on to torture/rape someone are also doing it to people you would deem innocent and undeserving of it.

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • ThisIsReLLiK
  • 1 Points
  • 21:37:06, 4 December

I don't get why everyone is arguing over whether it is the right thing to wish on someone. That is like arguing that it was right for the molester to do it in the first place. If our system had punishments in place like "an eye for an eye" our criminals might think twice before doing these kind of things.

I don't see how its wrong to want someone like that to suffer, nothing like this ever happened to me, but whenever I hear about it I agree that the rapist or molester or whatever it may be, should get exactly what they gave.

  • [-]
  • DrBravi
  • 1 Points
  • 21:46:44, 4 December

Wow, that would be a great society.

More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • Drewbus
  • 1 Points
  • 21:43:26, 4 December

Wrath is a deadly sin. I'm really sorry for your misfortune. It's a shame this ever happens to anyone.

  • [-]
  • FynnM
  • 1 Points
  • 20:55:28, 4 December

I sympathise with you for going through that trauma but the sort of stuff your saying is just sick.

  • [-]
  • Planet-man
  • 1 Points
  • 21:34:01, 4 December

Wow, the replies you're getting for this are pathetic. Can people really not understand how a life-destroying child rapist might deserve to get brutalized in prison? And that that's not even remotely the same thing as an innocent child getting brutalized for no reason? Anyway, good on you dude.

  • [-]
  • McTwisterson
  • 1 Points
  • 22:00:45, 4 December

They don't have to be the same thing for them both to be wrong. For Christ's sake.

  • [-]
  • discreetheartbeat
  • 1 Points
  • 21:33:39, 4 December

Your edits are the best I've ever seen, and as another stranger on the internet, I'd just like to say fuck those people questioning you.

  • [-]
  • XenosisReaper
  • -4 Points
  • 20:56:46, 4 December

The justice system isn't there for your vengeance.

Get some mental help.

  • [-]
  • JK0807
  • 1 Points
  • 21:25:24, 4 December

You have a lot of balls telling a rape victim to get mental help because they wish what happened to them upon the person who did It to them. Fuck off and grow up.

More Comments - Not Stored
More Comments - Not Stored
  • [-]
  • wingnut0000
  • 3 Points
  • 21:06:11, 4 December

Who dropped the papers? The cops?

  • [-]
  • AreaCode901
  • 1 Points
  • 22:03:35, 4 December

In response to your moral conflict. It's not your fault he did what he did. People deserve the stigmas they earn. However his punishment or his crime was a jail sentence. Not mob brutality. It really is a shame but I think ethically he was already being punished in the way out society deems humane. Physical abuse is not a correctional tool and it shouldn't be a form of punishment.

  • [-]
  • Curlypeeps
  • 1 Points
  • 21:43:18, 4 December

This doesn't excuse it but I wish when someone is convicted for child molesting they try to prosecute whoever molested them. Many times people moleste because they were. Like I said, it doesn't excuse it but I would love for that to happen.

  • [-]
  • SuccumbedToReddit
  • 3 Points
  • 21:12:25, 4 December

You weren't the cause. He was.

  • [-]
  • Quizzelbuck
  • 1 Points
  • 21:52:32, 4 December

That was a shitty thing to do, because you don't know for certain he did it.

  • [-]
  • curlyMcfrizzy
  • 1 Points
  • 21:39:04, 4 December

Well, I guess technically he did break and enter.

  • [-]
  • InformationCrawler
  • 1 Points
  • 22:02:45, 4 December

Why did you let it be known?

  • [-]
  • aphoodis
  • 1 Points
  • 22:06:36, 4 December

Any idea what happens to famous people? Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins for example. People are going to know what he is in for. Do they separate them?

  • [-]
  • SlimOCD
  • 1 Points
  • 22:07:35, 4 December

Should make a confession bear meme

  • [-]
  • splat313
  • 1 Points
  • 22:11:02, 4 December

I listen to old episodes of the radio show Loveline and they talked about this once.

Apparently the way other prisoners find out is through incidents like yours, or when groups of prisoners are brought to a courthouse for a court appearance. Apparently other prisoners are nearby when you are talking with the court so they can hear what you are in prison for.

  • [-]
  • Juststumblinaround
  • 1 Points
  • 22:12:44, 4 December

What you did was wrong, but I don't think you should feel bad about it.

More Comments - Not Stored