Snowden: "I think a person should be able to dial a number, make a purchase, send an SMS, write an e-mail, or visit a Web site without having to think about what it's going to look like on their permanent record." (news.cnet.com)

{worldnews}

2570 ups - 723 downs = 1847 votes

195 comments submitted at 13:43:39 on Jan 24, 2014 by maxwellhill

  • [-]
  • VienneseIdeologist
  • 1 Points
  • 16:14:52, 24 January

People don't really imagine the extent of damage this does to society. My girlfriend, who was always top of her class, engaged in political organizations with me, class president 4 years in a row and amazing at any sport she picked up sent me a short video and a few pictures of her for my birthday before the whole NSA thing came out.

Her dream was to become a politician and change many of the crazy things that are going on in the world, because let's face it, our generation is fucked if we don't. Now she is worried that if she ever gets publicly known, and tries to go against the establishment someone will leak her pictures, thus ending her career. She is that kind of girl where you know she can do anything she wants. She is now considering to drop political science and take up medicine, but I know it is not really what she wants, and it would be a terrible loss for society as well.

I am so angry at the NSA, and at myself for asking her for that kind of a present.. She couldn't have made me a better present, that is for sure, but the cost of it.. I am seriously furious. I hope that one day the citizens of the United States will storm the NSA data storage center and burn it to the ground, my girlfriend doesn't deserve this. She is literally the Harvey Dent of tomorrow, except for that one detail that not only could ruin her career, but makes her scared to even start it. She is not mad at me, but I really am furious about this.

  • [-]
  • tonywisconsin
  • 19 Points
  • 17:18:23, 24 January

This may be the most ridiculous post I've yet seen on this topic. Congratulations. Our vice president shot another guy in the face with a shotgun. Anthony Weiner sent people pictures of his dick. You know what? The NSA isn't some criminal supervillain trying to destroy good people for no reason. You are a complete moron if you think the NSA destroyed your girlfriend's imaginary political career.

  • [-]
  • whitneytrick
  • 0 Points
  • 17:50:14, 24 January

the issue is that they have the power to do it, for no good reason.

how many politicians have been blackmailed using information gathered by NSA or similar agencies into changing their stance on an issue? we would never know.

  • [-]
  • tonywisconsin
  • 3 Points
  • 17:59:36, 24 January

Why? What would be the point? What is the end game here?

The NSA isn't run by Lex Luthor: it's headed by a four star general, who usually goes on to retire and collect a hefty pension. You think 60 year old Keith Alexander spent 40 years in the military just to fuck over the American people because he's an evil asshole?

  • [-]
  • Mainiuu
  • -5 Points
  • 17:23:28, 24 January

If she was a revolutionary, opposed current state interests, or anything like that government agents have been known to use anything available to discredit people. So it's a legitimate fear.

  • [-]
  • tonywisconsin
  • 8 Points
  • 17:34:02, 24 January

"Opposed state interests"? Holy shit, better arrest every fucking college kid in the USA.

Stop using vague platitudes, and start using your brain.

  • [-]
  • Teggel20
  • -9 Points
  • 17:39:27, 24 January

But in some parts of the world this does happen - if you post anti-government stuff online the police turn up at your house. Places like China and Russia.

  • [-]
  • telmnstr
  • 0 Points
  • 18:03:16, 24 January

It might be conspiracy theory but if you look up the Fox news report on amdocs / comverse infosys and the offloading of whitehouse communications to foreign country there was suggestions that the Clinton / Monica thing was pushed by external leaking of news forcing the issue to the public. I read it a long time ago but look it up, it's pretty wild if true.

  • [-]
  • VienneseIdeologist
  • 0 Points
  • 18:03:23, 24 January

nobody gives a fuck about wieners dick, everyone would be all over naked pics and an explicit video of an attractive female politician. With the NSA storage capability EVERYTHING is stored, that's the only reason they can do it because they are not discriminating that way.

I am talking here about a politically motivated "leak" to ruin her public image.

  • [-]
  • bowbow696
  • 7 Points
  • 17:25:12, 24 January

Pretty stupid reason not to go into politics at least in my opinion. Also seems highly paranoid...

  • [-]
  • MMOPTH
  • 2 Points
  • 17:38:42, 24 January

Seems like the NSA actually did her and society a favor in this instance by convincing her to change her major.

  • [-]
  • VienneseIdeologist
  • 1 Points
  • 18:12:48, 24 January

Yeah, and you probably believe that there is a difference between democrats and republicans other than abortion gay marriage and the promises they make. You probably believed everything Obama said in 2008 too.

  • [-]
  • bowbow696
  • 0 Points
  • 17:50:36, 24 January

Lol I would agree.

  • [-]
  • VienneseIdeologist
  • 1 Points
  • 18:09:30, 24 January

It is not paranoid, she is not looking to be some county official, she is aiming at least for the senate, if not further. Her parents are filthy rich, I have no doubt she will make it very far. And if you aren't paranoid as a politician, you don't know what you are doing. All it takes is one anonymous "leak" to ruin her public image.

  • [-]
  • USER_ID42
  • 11 Points
  • 16:47:05, 24 January

Depending on the service she used to send the pictures and videos, it might not even be stored for that long. If she ever comes on NSA's radar, it might have already been deleted.

Also, she seems to have a very inflated sense of self-importance. NSA isn't going to spend resources watching her just because she has been a class president for 4 years in a row and amazing at sports.

Tell her to continue to pursue a career in politics. Besides, in the future we'll probably stop being such prudes and a few sexy pictures might even boost her career lol.

  • [-]
  • stult
  • 7 Points
  • 17:02:03, 24 January

Yeah, if you're still in college, it's gonna be at least ten years before someone tries to blackmail you. I doubt that the NSA is storing everything for that long. At least not yet. I certainly wouldn't let it affect my life plans if I were her.

  • [-]
  • tet5uo
  • 1 Points
  • 17:20:53, 24 January

15 years is what they aim for.

  • [-]
  • JudoTrip
  • 12 Points
  • 17:00:44, 24 January

They don't have to "spend resources watching her" specifically, because they are watching everyone, always.

This enables them to go back and look through your life if you ever become influential and get out of line. They don't have to have her on their radar now to ruin her life later.

You must not have understood this whole NSA spying thing.

  • [-]
  • MMOPTH
  • 4 Points
  • 17:34:53, 24 January

I don't quite think you understand it either.

They can access pictures and videos from a lot of services but they don't have the capabilities to store everything, especially photos and videos which are quite large in comparison to metadata. They can and do store metadata without discrimination but actual contents aren't stored unless the person is specifically targeted.

So they can't just go back into the history of any single person they want and pull up videos and such unless they had targeted that person in the first place. So as USER_ID42 said, the NSA would have had to actually targeted her, and I doubt the NSA are targeting class presidents.

  • [-]
  • VienneseIdeologist
  • 1 Points
  • 18:01:34, 24 January

You are wrong, the only reason they can do this is because they target everyone in a non discriminative manner. They store everything on everyone they can, because all it takes is a few billion $ of storage space to do that.

  • [-]
  • MMOPTH
  • 1 Points
  • 18:08:58, 24 January

No you're wrong. They don't store everything.

  • [-]
  • USER_ID42
  • -1 Points
  • 17:13:36, 24 January

I've read plenty of the slides, I understand how they operate. Which is why I asked what service she used. They don't (yet) store every single thing that every single person does on the internet. If there's a person of interest who has valuable information on Google's servers, they extract the data and store it on their own servers. Depending on the service, by the time they want her data, it might have already been deleted on the original servers.

Her connection to Google, for example, is encrypted. That means that even if they captured the data that was going from her computer to Google's servers it would be encrypted and of not much use to the NSA. I'm not sure if they currently have the capability to decrypt the connection, but I'm sure they'd have to jump through several hoops to get it decrypted. Which would be wasting resources because she's unimportant.

I think it's you that doesn't understand this whole NSA spying thing. Yes, the NSA spying is a very serious matter, but that doesn't mean he should start freaking out because his girlfriend's non existent political career might be ruined because of some pictures.

  • [-]
  • JudoTrip
  • 1 Points
  • 17:18:49, 24 January

Wow. You missed a lot and only seem to grasp the "spark notes" of the controversy.

The NSA has been found hacking into Google's lines and servers. They can already store everything. They already have all your metadata, which is actually a lot more informative than just listening in on a phone call. They've been busting encryption.

This is all old news.

  • [-]
  • Teggel20
  • 4 Points
  • 17:30:59, 24 January

> They already have all your metadata, which is actually a lot more informative than just listening in on a phone call.

Really?

  • [-]
  • JudoTrip
  • 2 Points
  • 17:43:59, 24 January

You don't think so?

If I were to listen in on your next phone call, I could only get information from what is actually said.

If I have your metadata, I know where you were when you called and where you called to, how often you call that number, what kind of phone you used, where you work, where you go to church (or worse: where you don't), and much more for ALL your interactions with ALL of your contacts.

  • [-]
  • USER_ID42
  • 2 Points
  • 17:32:01, 24 January

How is NSA's MUSCULAR program that much different from their PRISM program? yes, they both collect data in bulk from Google's servers, but why does that mean her data was also targeted? Or are you claiming that NSA keeps copies of all of the data on Google's servers? And I'm not even sure what service his girlfriend used, what's the chance that they have complete access to those servers too?

So what if they have her "metadata"? What's that going to show? To whom she sent pictures and at what hour?

Yes, they have the capability to decrypt internet connections of specific targets. And again, by targeting her they would be wasting their resources because she's not a person of interest.

And here's a quote, talking about their capabilities against internet encryption:

> A GCHQ document warned however “These capabilities are among the Sigint community’s most fragile, and the inadvertent disclosure of the simple ‘fact of’ could alert the adversary and result in immediate loss of the capability.”

So tell me again how they're going to use said capabilities to decrypt a girl's communications because she's popular at her school?

I'm not an NSA apologist, I realize the potential ramifications of their actions. I'm just saying you shouldn't completely change careers because a few pictures might ruin said career.

  • [-]
  • MrOtsKrad
  • 1 Points
  • 17:24:21, 24 January

They haven't been busting encryption as a side note, they have been bullying for keys to open the door. They aren't picking the lock.

  • [-]
  • JudoTrip
  • 2 Points
  • 17:30:29, 24 January

Even a cursory Google search would show that isn't true. They HAVE been cracking encryption, they ARE working to expand that.

We have Snowden leaks on this, even CNN reported this.

  • [-]
  • MrOtsKrad
  • 0 Points
  • 18:00:24, 24 January

You mean a google search like "Is the NSA cracking Encryption" Something like that right? Maybe something from the first page of results? Maybe from MIT?

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/519171/nsa-leak-leaves-crypto-math-intact-but-highlights-known-workarounds/

They ARE infact building a quantum computer with the intention of cracking though. They have NOT been cracking encryption, stop misinforming yourself and people you talk to.

  • [-]
  • JudoTrip
  • 1 Points
  • 18:10:45, 24 January

How hard did you actually try? This is from September..

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/06/us/nsa-surveillance-encryption/

"Reports: NSA has cracked online encryption

(CNN) - The U.S. National Security Agency has secretly succeeded in breaking much of the encryption that keeps people's personal data safe online, according to reports by The New York Times, The Guardian and ProPublica.

The reports, produced in partnership and published Thursday, are the latest to emerge based on documents leaked by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden to Britain's Guardian newspaper.

According to the reports, the NSA, alongside its UK equivalent, Government Communications Headquarters, better known as GCHQ, has been able to unscramble much of the encoding that protects everything from personal e-mails to banking systems, medical records and Internet chats."


Did you learn something?

  • [-]
  • readyready
  • 1 Points
  • 17:38:05, 24 January

>I've read plenty of the slides, I understand how they operate.

Apparently you don't. You suggested she wouldn't be on the NSA's radar, without bothering to explain, as JudoTrip did, that she needn't be on their radar because we are all on their radar. All of our information is stored for future character assasinations.

>Her connection to Google, for example, is encrypted. That means that even if they captured the data that was going from her computer to Google's servers it would be encrypted and of not much use to the NSA.

I doubt Google has encryption the NSA is unable to crack.

>Yes, the NSA spying is a very serious matter, but that doesn't mean he should start freaking out because his girlfriend's non existent political career might be ruined because of some pictures.

Interesting how you put that..freaking out. The government is watching every single thing you do and you call his/her reaction freaking out. Also, your condescension is laghable. Who the hell are you to suggest his girl wouldn't make it in politics?

  • [-]
  • MMOPTH
  • 1 Points
  • 17:47:47, 24 January

>All of our information is stored for future character assasinations.

No, not all information, only metadata. Indiscriminately collection information, ie metadata on everyone is only kept for 365 days. Maybe they are lying and are keeping it for even longer, who knows, but unless you have evidence saying otherwise, I'm going to go with that.

>I doubt Google has encryption the NSA is unable to crack.

You'd be an idiot to doubt that because it's basically impossible to crack good encryption, and I'm going to assume that the encryption google uses is not some muppet outdated encryption method. From what I understand they use 2048-bit encryption. To give you an idea on how long it takes to crack that

>we estimated the age of the Universe to be 13,751,783,021 years or a little over 13.75 billion years*, therefore if you tried to break a DigiCert 2048-bit SSL certificate using a standard modern desktop computer, and you started at the beginning of time, you would have expended 13 billion years of processing by the time you got back to today, and you would still have to repeat that entire process 468,481 times one after the other into our far far distant future before there was a good probability of breaking the certificate. In fact the Universe itself would grow dark before you even got close.

source

  • [-]
  • readyready
  • 1 Points
  • 17:52:22, 24 January

>No, not all information, only metadata.

Last I checked, we are still getting new information on the NSA.

>You'd be an idiot to doubt that because it's basically impossible to crack good encryption, and I'm going to assume that the encryption google uses is not some muppet outdated encryption method.

Well, I do doubt it, and the true idiot in this equation is your mother, for not aborting you. Stop being such a boot licker and get with we the people...stop defending and deflecting for the NSA.

  • [-]
  • MMOPTH
  • 1 Points
  • 17:59:49, 24 January

>Last I checked, we are still getting new information on the NSA.

And I was basing my asusmptions on what we do know at this moment. Are you honestly dismissing my claims on the fact that in the future my statement might be considered wrong?

>we estimated the age of the Universe to be 13,751,783,021 years or a little over 13.75 billion years*, therefore if you tried to break a DigiCert 2048-bit SSL certificate using a standard modern desktop computer, and you started at the beginning of time, you would have expended 13 billion years of processing by the time you got back to today, and you would still have to repeat that entire process 468,481 times one after the other into our far far distant future before there was a good probability of breaking the certificate. In fact the Universe itself would grow dark before you even got close.

I edited my post after you had already replied.

Honestly, you are a fucking idiot if you still think the NSA can crack 2048-bit encryption. You clearly don't know the first thing about encryption and are claiming "NSA can crack it!"

>Stop being such a boot licker and get with we the people

And stop being such a fucking moron who thinks the NSA can crack 2048-bit encryption.

  • [-]
  • USER_ID42
  • 0 Points
  • 17:47:34, 24 January

Some additional explanation in my previous comment:

https://pay.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/1w14od/snowdenithinkapersonshouldbeabletodiala/cexu9mh

> Interesting how you put that..freaking out. The government is watching every single thing you do and you call his/her reaction freaking out. Also, your condescension is laghable. Who the hell are you to suggest his girl wouldn't make it in politics?

Good point. But let's assume she does make it in politics. What are the chances that she gets targeted by the NSA? Let us then assume the NSA targets every single politician. Now what are the chances they find those specific pictures and video? Alright, let's assume they do find those pictures. What are then the chances they blackmail her? What are the chances the leaks of those pictures ruin her career?

As you can see, there are a lot of assumptions here. I just went with the most plausible assumption given how much information I had about her, and that assumption is that she's really not fit for a career in politics, especially if she's already deciding to change careers because she sent nude pictures to her boyfriend. Politicians need thicker skin than that.

  • [-]
  • readyready
  • 1 Points
  • 17:50:58, 24 January

>Good point.

Then why downvote it?

>But let's assume she does make it in politics. What are the chances that she gets targeted by the NSA?

100%.

>Let us then assume the NSA targets every single politician. Now what are the chances they find those specific pictures and video?

I have no way of knowing.

>What are then the chances they blackmail her?

I suppose the need to blackmail here would be largely dependant on her positions and the political climate of the time. IOW, unkown.

>I just went with the most plausible assumption given how much information I had about her, and that assumption is that she's really not fit for a career in politics, especially if she's already deciding to change careers because she sent nude pictures to her boyfriend. Politicians need thicker skin than that.

Your notion of plausibility is subjective.

  • [-]
  • USER_ID42
  • 2 Points
  • 17:58:41, 24 January

> Then why downvote it?

I didn't.

>100%.

While I agree with you, we currently have no way of knowing whether this is true.

What my point is, and a lot of people seem to downvote me for it, is that there is absolutely no need to change careers because you're suspecting that the NSA has captured some some data that could be turned against you in the future. We're already making such big assumptions while we don't even know what the future holds. What if these programs will no longer exist in a few years?

  • [-]
  • MMOPTH
  • 0 Points
  • 18:00:47, 24 January

He didn't downvote you, I downvoted you because you are fucking idiot.

>I doubt Google has encryption the NSA is unable to crack.

That point alone just shows how stupid you are.

  • [-]
  • Teggel20
  • -1 Points
  • 16:54:29, 24 January

> Also, she seems to have a very inflated sense of self-importance.

You don't understand, they have literally ruined her career! The curse of being popular at high school and good at sports strikes again!

  • [-]
  • rithex
  • 6 Points
  • 17:09:06, 24 January

that has nothing to do with the NSA.. holy fuck..

  • [-]
  • tet5uo
  • -3 Points
  • 17:21:20, 24 January

Chilling effect. And yes, it does.

  • [-]
  • rithex
  • 1 Points
  • 17:22:02, 24 January

Go sit in the corner please.

  • [-]
  • Hobbit_Dildo
  • 2 Points
  • 16:36:46, 24 January

Your first paragraph makes me think this is you.

  • [-]
  • KevinMack25
  • 1 Points
  • 17:49:32, 24 January

I don't think your fears are well founded only because its up to us citizens to accept this information as discrediting. If your girlfriend was a great governor and these pictures came out, it's the public reaction that would mean anything. And as long as she explained what they were from, I don't see any reason that those wouldn't draw positive attention.

  • [-]
  • Leprecon
  • 1 Points
  • 18:04:02, 24 January

If you are willing to give up your dreams at the drop of a hat then you don't really deserve to achieve what you want in the first place.

Great people all around this world faced much much harder challenges. Your girlfriend faced nothing. Odds are that she is giving up her dreams for a picture that doesn't even exist any more. The NSA did your girlfriend a favour. I wouldn't vote for a politician who would give up all her aspirations so fast whilst having faced so little.

Bush was an alcoholic, and quite possibly did cocaine. Obama has admitted to smoking up, and is of Kenyan descent in a country which 50 years before him advocated strict division between black and white people. His middle name is Hussein. This doesn't mean anything, but in a country where Hussain is a pretty well demonised name, that is quite a thing to overcome.

  • [-]
  • Teggel20
  • 1 Points
  • 16:21:16, 24 January

This is brilliant.

  • [-]
  • negroesandwich
  • 1 Points
  • 17:37:29, 24 January

Before the NSA everyone's life was a complete mystery!

  • [-]
  • Myhouseisamess
  • 2 Points
  • 17:55:31, 24 January

Seriously what kind of wack job thinks the NSA will stop her from being a politician. Oh no I sent my boy friend naked pics of me when I was young...

Jesus why the fuck would that ruin her political career? seriously she needs to nut up and not be so afraid of the American public. If she was worried about nude photo's, she clearly would have become the scum we already have. No balls

  • [-]
  • Hail_Bokonon
  • 0 Points
  • 16:59:06, 24 January

I cryed evri tiem

  • [-]
  • CraftyCaprid
  • 1 Points
  • 17:35:50, 24 January

Good. We don't need politicians with no backbone.

  • [-]
  • telgerot
  • 1 Points
  • 17:23:07, 24 January

Man, if I were in that situation and somebody tried to blackmail me, I'd simply own those pictures. "Yep, I was sending dick pics. Bitches love dick pics."

Then this would happen.

Don't laugh. Politicians have gotten away with far, far worse.